New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

A thought to make Apple TV more versitile...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I got to thinking.... The Apple TV has RAM, a HD, a processor, and it can connect to a wireless router. Why not make it bluetooth enabled so someone can use it as an internet device with Safari? I think lots of people would like to have their own web tv sort of thing. With the bluetooth keyboard and mouse, one could be surfing the net sitting on their couch in front of their 42" LCD TV. It's really all there minus the programing to make it web friendly.
I would hand over my $300 in an instant if this was a feature. Maybe that's just me. Anyone else have thoughts??
Peace,
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Because that's not what Apple wants to market the AppleTV as. They simply want it to be the hub that connects iTunes to your TV. Apple is all about simplification. Having the AppleTV do too much will just confuse people, the exact opposite of what simplicity is meant to achieve.

Apple would much rather have you purchase a Mac Mini to do what you're asking. If you look at it from the company's perspective, that makes sense.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

I don't necessarily find it very simple to go out and purchase the miniDVI to DVI adapter, a DVI to HDMI connector and a long HDMI cord to wrap around my apartment so I could use my TV as a secondary iMac screen. Plus, with all that extra hardware, there is going to be picture quality loss up the ying-yang.
But I can see where you're coming from. Maybe just buying a cheap core solo mac mini is way to go.
For now I will just connect my G3 iMac my surround sound system and listen to iTunes that way.
Thanks.
Bryan

QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

it would be a gd idea. but as Kash said thats not what they want.

they want you to buy stuff from them (itunes) play it on their players (ipod and appletv) so they get money out of it.
QUOTE Thanks
GulfVetSAF

GulfVetSAF will become famous soon enough

You know if you have Tivo (I do, lol), you can listen to all your music, watch your videos and even browse through your files with a simple wireless adapter... It's going to be awhile before I make the plunge to AppleTV; it just doesnt have a large enough hard drive... I think it's 40 gb? That's retarded! I just don't understand what they were thinking by having such a freaking small capacity... But, I do know some have been said to upgraded... but I'd prefer not to have to mess with it.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

here is an idea also, make it so you don't need a HDTV for the friggin thing to work..

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

I don't even have cable. I am not really a TV watcher. i got a set of HD rabbit ears and Netflix to keep me occupied.
I think the cable companies or someone is trying to make standard def. obsolete in a few years. No joke.
Bryan

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

That someone would be the U.S. government. The FCC is requiring all cable companies to discontinue analog broadcasts by February 2009. Though a recent vote by the FCC has decided that local channels will still be able to be broadcast in analog form.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

Off topic, I would love to know who left me a negative rep because I believe in peace not war.
Here's their comment:
"I think that sometimes you need to protect yourself if your countries peace is disturbed(911) so war will go towards peace"

1. How is that possible? Think about it, killing people does not create peace, only more hatred.
2. Were we at peace before 9/11? NO
Bryan
P.S. Quit abusing the REP system.

QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
Off topic, I would love to know who left me a negative rep because I believe in peace not war.
Here's their comment:
"I think that sometimes you need to protect yourself if your countries peace is disturbed(911) so war will go towards peace"

1. How is that possible? Think about it, killing people does not create peace, only more hatred.
2. Were we at peace before 9/11? NO
Bryan
P.S. Quit abusing the REP system.
if you feel you did not deserve the negative rep take it up with a mod. they will sort it out for you.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

It's cool. I don't need to be wasting the moderators time. I was just hoping the feedbacker would show their face here seeing they left the feedback from this thread. Guess not....
Bryan

QUOTE Thanks
jackscoldsweat

jackscoldsweat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2GHz CD 1 GB RAM 80 GB HD

They have that kind of product, mac mini.

Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo, 1GB Ram
Lacie Mini 250 GB HDD
Logitech Bluetooth mouse/ Apple USB Keyboard
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

for $200 more than the AppleTV you can get a MacMini and connect that to the tv

MacMini+Cable to connect it the tv+wireless keyboard&mouse+EyeTV and youre set
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firewire transfer rate | wireless keyboard troubles »