New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

eMacs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joeth

Joeth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Graphite 500MHz G3, 640 MB Ram

Hello all,

I have recently been seriously considering getting an eMac, and would like to put forward a couple of questions on these forums to anybody who has any experience of using the new eMacs, or just anyone who could help me at all:

First of all... I hear the graphics card isn't too great at all. I also hear that you can't upgrade it. Does the eMac play games to high standard of graphical quality?

Will I need to upgrade the RAM to 1GB to get the most out of this machine?

And finally, how noisy is it?

Any help is greatly appreciated, of course

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeth
Hello all,

I have recently been seriously considering getting an eMac, and would like to put forward a couple of questions on these forums to anybody who has any experience of using the new eMacs, or just anyone who could help me at all:

First of all... I hear the graphics card isn't too great at all. I also hear that you can't upgrade it. Does the eMac play games to high standard of graphical quality?

Will I need to upgrade the RAM to 1GB to get the most out of this machine?

And finally, how noisy is it?

Any help is greatly appreciated, of course

Cheers.
1) The graphics chip set is a recent ATI set but it is not the most recent and there is only 32mg of graphics memory; in short high graphics loads may not be handled as well as you would like. The graphics chip set is built into the main board so there is no upgrade possible. The eMac is a great value for a general purpose machine but it was not designed as a high-end games platform.
2) The eMac is now shipping with 256 mgs of RAM (over here anyway); That's marginal for OS X. You should consider an additional 256 or 512. Given the current low price of RAM it is a good time to max it out if you can afford it.
3) My eMac shares an office with my tray-loading iMac (This model still had an internal fan.) and a 6400. In operation it is marginally quieter than the iMac. When the eMac sleeps the fan stops; with the other two the fan still runs contributing to the noise level.

Badger
QUOTE Thanks
Joeth

Ok, thank you very much I think I will be buying it with 1GB of RAM, if I even do buy it at all.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

If you currently have a Graphite G3 iMac as your specs indicate, then you will be more than satisfied with an eMac. I too had the same iMac as you as well as an older Powerbook G3 (Wallstreet). My eMac blows the doors off of each of them and I don't regret my purchase one bit.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mjmchase

I just purchased the new emac with superdrive Friday and it is great. I was origionally a Mac user (Performa 630 in the mid 90's ) but have been using Windows the last 6 years or so both at work and home. Our home computer was a compac running XP with a 333 mhz celeron processor. Needless to say, my new emac is a huge jump in performance, even over my work computer, a 1 year old Dell. I bought it at the apple store in Chicago and walked across the street to Compusa and picked up a 512 stick of memory on sale, so I am working with 768 and it is awesome. have burned a few DVD's with no problems and everything else I have done is easier and faster on the mac. Makes me wonder why I waited so long to come back.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

As a doz user about as long as you have been (almost) I am just thrilled with the switch! You will find the OS X dynamics are a thing of beauty as I have! The new Macs have a different maintanence which you can see in this thread Enjoy!
QUOTE Thanks
Joeth

Well, eMac it is then.

But... I know the eMacs have been very recently upgraded and dropped in price, but people are talking about the Apple Summer upgrades. Does anybody have any idea if this will apply to eMacs, with them having such a recent upgrade? I personally doubt it, but I could either buy now, or wait till Summer when I will have even more cash saved, for more RAM and more accessories etc.

Thanks for your replies.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

No eMacs will not have an upgrade since they just had one
QUOTE Thanks
Joeth

Mmm, that would be too good to be true

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HD enclosures | New eMac - what should I get? »