Twist
    Question 1 Gig PC133 DIMM's In eMac
    Has anyone tried or heard of anyone trying to use 1 gig DIMM's of PC133 RAM in the just replaced 1 GHz 4x SuperDrive model eMac's?

I think that the 512 megs per slot is just one of those limitations that Apple lists that isn't really a limitation at all, it is just in the documentation to make the more expensive models look better. This said I would still rather hear of a success story first before sticking 2 1 gig DIMM's in an eMac and shorting it out or something. So if anyone has done this or seen news about someone else doing it please let me know.

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    As far as I know, the 2 slot 2 X 512 > 1 Gig limit still exists in eMac, simply cause motherboard modifications for broader slots make no sense

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist
    Has anyone tried or heard of anyone trying to use 1 gig DIMM's of PC133 RAM in the just replaced 1 GHz 4x SuperDrive model eMac's?

I think that the 512 megs per slot is just one of those limitations that Apple lists that isn't really a limitation at all, it is just in the documentation to make the more expensive models look better. This said I would still rather hear of a success story first before sticking 2 1 gig DIMM's in an eMac and shorting it out or something. So if anyone has done this or seen news about someone else doing it please let me know.
    To the best of my knowledge, the limit stands. However, even the Apple-quoted limit of 1 GB is a substantial amount of RAM. What applications are you running that you'd need more than that? Keep in mind, 2 GB of memory could basically buy you a whole additional eMac.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

Badger

On past models Apple has listed max RAM below what the model actually could use on only a few models, the tray-loading iMac for example. Even then some owners report problems trying to go beyond the limit listed. The technical info for the eMac is pretty clear that 256mg per bank with 2 banks per chip for 512mg per slot is the max that can be used.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    To the best of my knowledge, the limit stands. However, even the Apple-quoted limit of 1 GB is a substantial amount of RAM. What applications are you running that you'd need more than that? Keep in mind, 2 GB of memory could basically buy you a whole additional eMac.
    I agree. I have 512MB in my eMac and it functions just fine. I may someday upgrade to 1GB, but at this point I really have no cause or reason to do so.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Badger

There is a report on Accelerate Your Mac of a new 1.25 ghz model using 1 gb dimms so maybe the older models can too. The link is: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/...04.html#S17348. Let the forum know if you decide to try it.
    Badger

Specs:
    2GHz C2D macbook
    i upgraded my old 700 e mac at work to 1 gig from 640, i do not see any significant changes in speed and performance. some minor improvements and thats it. though i em not sure how 1.25 GHz model will behave. on 700 eMac i know for sure that i have the CPU to blame, its a botelneck in some cases, though it actually uses all 1gig of RAM

Thread Information