New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

iMac G3 - Not enough power for a SD card reader?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tempest

Tempest is on a distinguished road

iMac G3

The keyboard has a USB port on either side.

I have two memory card readers.

One largish one that takes all sorts of cards.
the other just a tiny one that only takes a SD card.

Whichever one I plug into the USB port on the keyboard. I get a message on screen saying there is not enough power for the device to work (words to that effect)

WHAT !!!!!

How much power does it take to power a SD card?

Can't quite believe that one.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
munna

munna is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: er.. 24" iMac

It's because it has to go from the keyboard an then the mac, it's like USB 1. You have to connect straight to the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna View Post
It's because it has to go from the keyboard an then the mac, it's like USB 1. You have to connect straight to the Mac.
Errrrr, thanks, but not quite sure if I understand what you are saying.
If the USB ports on the keyboard are only USB1, then that would just make it slower no?

I just did another test, and plugged my Microsoft Optical Mouse (red LED underneath) into the USB port on the keyboard, as I figured that would need a lot more power to work than a tiny SD Card, and guess what. The mouse works perfectly.

The memory card also works when plugged into the USB port on the side of the machine (as you said it would)

Still don't understand why the memory car reader won't work at all via the keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

It needs more power to operate thats it.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

this is probably what is happening...when you plug it in your are drawing way too much power at one time your computer then turns off the usb port until next restart in order to protect itself...

try this: plug in your card reader and then restart...i have this problem sometimes with my wacom tablet and solve it like this

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMac View Post
It needs more power to operate thats it.

Well yeah!

It just seems odd that it will happily power a LED USB Microsoft mouse without complaint, and yet, it says not enough power when it tried to read a tiny memory card.

You'd logically think it would be the other way round.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Not really a mouse is a really, really low bandwith, peripheral. As far as power goes its just a LED way more efficient than most light sources. Its primary more and more technologies rely on it. How else to you think they can run on battery power for so long.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mighty Mouse Questions | Epson Stylus CX 7800 »