New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Home made external hard drives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

socialpest

I have an old pc with 2x80Gb hard drives. However, I no longer use the PC. I have a powerbook and the 40Gb is not enough so need an external drive (for backup if not anything else).

I'm sure I remember seeing a box that had a USB/Firewire cable on it that could house two drives - does anyone know what is was that I saw and if I can use it for my PowerBook G4.

Many thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Computer Geeks sale a dual bay firewire case. I don't know if they have one with usb.
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MAP-302F-01
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by immdb
Computer Geeks sale a dual bay firewire case. I don't know if they have one with usb.
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MAP-302F-01
FireWire's better anyway...
QUOTE Thanks
socialpest

thanks immdb - looks just the thing. now i need to find one in europe...

i hope they have very long firewire cables so i can hide this in the corner
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Found this at FirewireDirect

Q: What is the maximum length a FireWire (A) cable can be?
A: The maximum cable length for connecting device to device with a 400Mbps cable is 4.5-meters (14.85ft). The Firewire specification calls for 10 meter (32ft) cables that may be used in conjunction with a repeater when it is necessary to extend FireWire cables over long distances. FirewireDirect does not offer these cables at this time because tests have shown them to be unreliable in some situations. We suggest using 4.5 meter cables and hubs when needing to extend to greater distances and don't recommend 10 meter cables (if you can find them) to our customers.
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

but thats like... code specification...

im sure you could get longer ones without too much of a problem...

its like Cat5 cables... i think for a patch cable, they cant be more than 6 feet or something silly like that.... of course i have a 25' one in my dorm room
QUOTE Thanks
EYPUFF

EYPUFF is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive

Did it work? Anybody try this? I'm kinda needing more space.. even w/ the 300+ gigs hardrive space.. I think i need at least 400... Yay for Final Cut Pro and Soundtrack.

EY

PowerBook G4. iLove it.
QUOTE Thanks
socialpest

I found this - a bit more pricey (in fact a lot more pricey - 299!) than the first link but allows back-up to 2 drives at the same time - in case one breaks. Plus it looks super sexy!

http://www.miglia.com/products/stora...hsr/index.html

Will probably not get due to lack of funds but thought I would share anyway for all you rich folks out there :rolleyes:
QUOTE Thanks
socialpest

I found a nice case that looks great next to my PowerBook.

http://www.computex.com.tw/mapower/d...75&pcode=HX200

Seems to work a treat - now I am debating the best way to format the old hard disk I have in there, can anyone please shed some light on the advantages of the following; Mac OS Extended, Mac OS Standard, MS-DOS or UNIX?

I intend to use it as back-up and to store movies, music and software files.

Many thanks in advance...

PS - i decided to try a case for just one drive, as it happens one of the drives I was going to use is very old and terribly noisy so i will use that for a monthly backup and not day to day.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« eMac RAM upgrade | second monitor on eMac »