New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Wifi Router for PC that would work with Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sr-ultimate

Sr-ultimate is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 1GBRAM / 120GB HD

I have very little knowledge of networking , just connected my Macbook Pro to my PC through ethernet few times.

Now I am looking for a Wifi Router for my PC so that I can access files and internet through my Macbook Pro. I would like some recommendations for a suitable Wifi Router. Please don't recommend "just released" products, as I have trouble buying those at my place.

Also, anything that I would keep in mind etc. should be appreciated.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

There aren't really Windows, Linux, or Mac routers, they should all work with just about any modern OS. I would suggest looking at the Linksys WRT54G. They have been out for awhile and Linksys is a great brand.
QUOTE Thanks
comthre3

comthre3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15.4 core2duo 2.16 2gb

dont get an smc router, im having trouble with mine, ive got an mbp and it simply wont connect to that wifi router, a linksys or netgear would be a good choice, or u can always get an airport extreme. and enable ur wireless-n capabilities on ur mbp goodluck
QUOTE Thanks
Sr-ultimate

Sr-ultimate is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 1GBRAM / 120GB HD

Ok, I'll have a look for it.Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I'll second the WRT54G suggestion. A lot of people on this forum have them and they're very reliable. If you want something more hardcore, you can install OpenWRT on them and have a full linux based hardware router in a WRT54G box.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
There aren't really Windows, Linux, or Mac routers, they should all work with just about any modern OS. I would suggest looking at the Linksys WRT54G. They have been out for awhile and Linksys is a great brand.
Very good router. Have 2 here. Never an issue.
QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

Another vote for the WRT54G.
I have 1 pc, 1 laptop and my MacBook all going through it without issue.
QUOTE Thanks
awrence

awrence will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz

I also had problems with a SMC router connected to 2 i-macs and 2 windos machines (failing connections. weak signal). Have now changed to a netgear WGR614 and all my problems have disappeared.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Apple AirPort Extreme (clicky) works great with both Macs and PCs. Mine is connected to a MBP and multiple PC notebooks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mouse and Safari | Windows Printer Sharing Trouble »