New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

A scanner or SCSI port problem?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dariosilva

dariosilva is on a distinguished road

Hi folks,

I have an Imacon scanner (www.imacon.dk, now part of www.hasselblad.com).
A few weeks ago, my scanner began to deliver some deteriorated images.

As you can see by the attachments, all imagens come out with misaligned stripes, bad enough to distort everything.

The failures don't happen always in the same place (have done twice the same slide).

As the scanner was reviewd this week for any misaligned CCD's, is it possible there is a problem with the Mac G4 controling the device?

Is it possible to have a problem in the SCSI port or cable?

Also, anda as NOT before this problem started, the G4 is taking longer to produce the file; the scanner ends its work and we still have a work under progress for about a minute...

Thanks in advance,

Dario Silva.
www.geofotografia.pt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s01.jpg (39.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg s02.jpg (50.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg s03.jpg (202.1 KB, 4 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

I've forgotten all the SCSI voodoo. Is the scanner the only peripheral or is there a chain of them?
QUOTE Thanks
dariosilva

The scanner is the only device attached to the Mac G4...

Dario Silva.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

This won't be of much help, but it might provide a hint.

Searching the web turned up hardly anything. But I came across this on a Hasselblad site. But the quote refers to a Firewire scanner.
Quote:
Horizontal anomalies to the scan are normally related to communication problems between the scanner and your computer.
If you are connected via FireWire then try another cable.
If you are scanning over a network, it is unlikely that the network will be able to keep up with the speed of the scanner. We would therefore advise scanning direct to a hard drive and then copying the complete file over the network.
On the same page is this:
Quote:
When should I replace the light tubes

Depending on use the light tube has a life expectancy of about 6 - 12 months. Replace the tube when scan quality and shadow detail start to degrade.
Not much help, I know.

Does the bending occur in the same part of the scanned image if the original is scanned upside down, or does it occur in another spot in the upside-down scanned image but in the identical place relative to the scanner?
QUOTE Thanks
dariosilva

Hi!

Thanks for the concern;

The errors on the images do NOT appear always on the same spot although it seems to be a pattern: when there is a contrast area, it is likely to have a fault there.

But sometimes, a few lines of spoiled image appear across the whole picture. Not in a repetitive way.

I think I'll replace my scsi port and cable...

Dario Silva.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« external usb hub and upgraded harddrive | MacBook + Bluetooth + Mighty Mouse = Problem »