New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Terabyte Space Needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dubs

dubs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2 Ghz powerpc G5 2.5gb ddr Ram - OSX 10.4.8

I need a few solutions for storage of video data.
My 250 gig G5 won't do it. Can anyone suggest a few external drives (links if possible) to look into? Do some of these systems come with raid?
Thx!!!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10279

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Settha

Settha is on a distinguished road

Hello dubs.

Well, as most of us know, most products in the Apple Store are overpriced, and can be bought for ALOT less. I have searched around for you.

This is what I've got:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...v=&browse=&s=1
1TB For $375.99.

Good luck, Hope you find what you're looking for.

-Seth-
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Here is a link to a lot of research I did a month ago on externals. Am looking for storage specifically for video also.
Takes me a long time to decide. Am still looking at and reading reviews. The 2nd post has the drives I found. As you get to the end, I am still torn between OWC and WD.

OWC by the way does have RAID options. In my computer purchasing decisions over the years I tend to buy top of the line or as close to it as I can afford. Have never been in a position where SCSI was within my budget for my home machines though. I have tried the RAID0 route on several occasions due to my use of video related tasks and just had too many problems and finally gave up. As part of my research, for this purchase of hard drives, I PM'd some of the IT techs we have here on this site for their opinions of non-SCSI RAID. Their experience/opinions matched mine. So, if you are looking for trouble free, I can't recommend it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The link Settha has for the MyBook Pro above would probably be a very good choice for a 1TB. This is a triple interface drive, FW800/400/USB. Has 2 internal drives, so you could try the RAID if you like. Same drive at newegg is $369.99, but for $5 probably worth getting at Costco if you can drive to get it locally.

WD does not indicate which drives they have inside, but if it is either the SE16 or more likely the RE2 since they're designing it for RAID, these are currently the quietest and coolest drives on the market while consistently ranking between the middle to the top of the pack in all tests I have seen thrown at them.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook + Bluetooth + Mighty Mouse = Problem | Mouse and Safari »