New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

TV As Monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

Hi all,

I was just wondering if any of you use an actual television as a monitor for your Mac?

If so do any of you have a tv with a DVI inut port as the only tv's I can find have VGA only.

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Martin.

Martin. is a jewel in the roughMartin. is a jewel in the rough

most tvs dont have an actual DVI port, you have to use a DVI to HDMI to connect.

~Martin.

QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I just recently got a 37" HD TV that has a VGA port. It works fine with my Mini-DVI to VGA adapter on my Macbook (1447x768 or something like that), and currently an old Mac Mini is hooked up to it with it's DVI - VGA adapter and looks beautiful!
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - iPhone

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...250#post368250

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

What size screen are you considering? If it is fairly small, I would consider using a monitor as a TV instead of the other way around. You can find tuner boxes that have all kinds out outputs and monitors with lots of different types of inputs, so it isn't hard to find something that works...
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

I was thinking of something like a 23 or 24" screen size.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Unless yout TV is a square-pixel based, I'd stay away from it. Traditional TVs are only good for watching videos or photos. Everything else is blurry.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do HD CRT monitors exist? | VX revolution mouse »