New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Usb Splitter?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sf14

sf14 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMAC 24 inch screen, intell core 2 duo

My family is running out of usb space on our iMAC. We have 3 ipods, a printer, keyboard, and 2 mouses (one for games and one regular one) needing to use 5 usb hubs. I was wondering what i should do. Im thinking of getting a USB splitter, if so which one? Thanks.

"Windows are for fart hoffers and Macs get you laid"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHO8l-Bd1O4

Go to www.macedge.blogspot.com for all your MAC HOW TO's and other cool stuff
QUOTE Thanks
stonysleep

stonysleep will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11

Obviously with an imac you can't fit a USB PCI card, but for those who can that's your best bet
Failing that, get a USB hub, and when shopping your main criteria should be to get one that is powered. Having not bought one I can't recommend any on in particular. However, I'd suggest shopping around and going for main brands.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I have a couple powered Belkin USB 2.0 Hubs here and they work great.
QUOTE Thanks
sf14

thanks for the help... i think im going to get the belkin usb hub... but i was also told getting a wireless mouse and keyboard might work as well...my family is trying to cut down on wires so if this is a feasable optioin please let me know

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf14 View Post
thanks for the help... i think im going to get the belkin usb hub... but i was also told getting a wireless mouse and keyboard might work as well...my family is trying to cut down on wires so if this is a feasable optioin please let me know
If you go the wireless route for the KB and Mouse, since you have a 24" iMac with built in Bluetooth, go with bluetooth. That way you don't have to worry about USB dongles that come on other Wireless KB/Mouse combos.
QUOTE Thanks
awrence

awrence will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz

all three i-pods can connect using the same cord, the mice (mouses?) connect via the keyboard so you should have enough connecting slots. If you do decide on a hub be sure it has its own power supply.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I have the 7 port powered belkin USB hub and it's great. You can also buy multiple 7-port hubs and stack them...
QUOTE Thanks
sf14

great...I think im going to go wireless and open up another two usb slots (the perfect amount) thaks for all your help

QUOTE Thanks
almiroty

almiroty is on a distinguished road

hi:
i am having problems with the belkin usb hubs. this is long and sad, so i will shorten the story. the belkin technician told me that their 7 port hub and 4 port hubs are not mac compatible. when i pointed out that the outside of the package indicates compatibility with mac, he said they cannot be made responsible for error in typing! i contacted headquarters, but i am resting comfortably waiting for their answer.
in the meantime, this is what is going on:
3 different models of hubs tested in cube- 1.1 usb- imac intel 24"and imac g5.
the cube seems to recognize some of the hardware plugged in, but the rest of the computers don't see anything connected using the hub. when i go the the profiler i can't find the hub.
any ideas? help me please.
g
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iomega 500GB UltraMax Desktop Hard Drive for $169 @ the apple store, Good Deal or No? | scanner trouble »