Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   Usb Splitter? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/58773-usb-splitter.html)

sf14 04-08-2007 06:04 PM

Usb Splitter?

My family is running out of usb space on our iMAC. We have 3 ipods, a printer, keyboard, and 2 mouses (one for games and one regular one) needing to use 5 usb hubs. I was wondering what i should do. Im thinking of getting a USB splitter, if so which one? Thanks.

stonysleep 04-08-2007 08:19 PM

Obviously with an imac you can't fit a USB PCI card, but for those who can that's your best bet
Failing that, get a USB hub, and when shopping your main criteria should be to get one that is powered. Having not bought one I can't recommend any on in particular. However, I'd suggest shopping around and going for main brands.

dtravis7 04-08-2007 08:27 PM

I have a couple powered Belkin USB 2.0 Hubs here and they work great.

sf14 04-08-2007 08:48 PM

thanks for the help... i think im going to get the belkin usb hub... but i was also told getting a wireless mouse and keyboard might work as well...my family is trying to cut down on wires so if this is a feasable optioin please let me know

dtravis7 04-08-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf14 (Post 366096)
thanks for the help... i think im going to get the belkin usb hub... but i was also told getting a wireless mouse and keyboard might work as well...my family is trying to cut down on wires so if this is a feasable optioin please let me know

If you go the wireless route for the KB and Mouse, since you have a 24" iMac with built in Bluetooth, go with bluetooth. That way you don't have to worry about USB dongles that come on other Wireless KB/Mouse combos.

awrence 04-09-2007 04:57 AM

all three i-pods can connect using the same cord, the mice (mouses?) connect via the keyboard so you should have enough connecting slots. If you do decide on a hub be sure it has its own power supply.

Aptmunich 04-09-2007 07:57 AM

I have the 7 port powered belkin USB hub and it's great. You can also buy multiple 7-port hubs and stack them...

sf14 04-09-2007 08:59 PM

great...I think im going to go wireless and open up another two usb slots (the perfect amount) thaks for all your help

almiroty 11-28-2007 03:41 PM

belkin usb hubs

hi:
i am having problems with the belkin usb hubs. this is long and sad, so i will shorten the story. the belkin technician told me that their 7 port hub and 4 port hubs are not mac compatible. when i pointed out that the outside of the package indicates compatibility with mac, he said they cannot be made responsible for error in typing! i contacted headquarters, but i am resting comfortably waiting for their answer.
in the meantime, this is what is going on:
3 different models of hubs tested in cube- 1.1 usb- imac intel 24"and imac g5.
the cube seems to recognize some of the hardware plugged in, but the rest of the computers don't see anything connected using the hub. when i go the the profiler i can't find the hub.
any ideas? help me please.
g