New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Apple cinema display on PC hardware

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flowctrl

Hi;

I'm thinking about purchasing an Apple cinema display for my linux box. Apple has an ADC to DVI converter -- has anyone tried connecting it to a DVI card in a PC?

I know I can find this out by RTFM, but just in case someone happens to know offhand, does XFree86 support 1680x1050 resolution?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Wapa18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowctrl
Hi;

I'm thinking about purchasing an Apple cinema display for my linux box. Apple has an ADC to DVI converter -- has anyone tried connecting it to a DVI card in a PC?

I know I can find this out by RTFM, but just in case someone happens to know offhand, does XFree86 support 1680x1050 resolution?

Thanks.
i know that windows boxes can run apple cinema displays. i actually saw a 23" HD display connected to a crappy compaq in a compusa store. it kinda surprised me at first (not to mention the fact that i was ticked off they'd connect such a great display to such a piece of junk). but then i realized that was what they did--they used the ADC to DVI converter. hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
knemonic

Hello all!

I currently have a 17" LCD Studio Display for my powermac and i was curious if anyone has tried to use that one with the Apple ADC to DVI adapter on a pc with a the Asus V9560TD 128 Geforce FX5600?

See, i plan on getting the new 20" cinema display for my powermac and instead of selling off the 17", i was thinking of using it on my pc instead. just curious to see if anyone has had success before i try it myself.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
The Saab Pimp

my dad has a PIII 500 with a GeForce 3 card in it that has a DVI connection, and i hooked his 20" cinema display up to it using the ADC to DVI adapter, and it worked just fine. a bit slow because it's a 500mhz PIII, but other than that it worked fine.
QUOTE Thanks
knemonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saab Pimp
my dad has a PIII 500 with a GeForce 3 card in it that has a DVI connection, and i hooked his 20" cinema display up to it using the ADC to DVI adapter, and it worked just fine. a bit slow because it's a 500mhz PIII, but other than that it worked fine.

well, thats very promising, i would think that almost all the monitors would work since apple uses both ati cards and nvidia cards in all their systems. my powermac has an nvidia card which makes me think that i should not have a problem since i am basically just changing from a newer to a little older model of video card. plus, it is not like the apple displays are special and have super powers, they are the best but it is not like they are a totally new breed of lcd monitor. plus, from steve jobs statement at the wwdc conf, he said that the apple displays are so popular that other companies buy the ones apple reject...that makes me beleive that other companies are selling these for mainly and computer system just change the connector at the manufacterer level.

thanks for the input, i am definetly going to buy a new one now and use my old one on my pc, this is going to be sweet!

later
QUOTE Thanks
The Saab Pimp

no problem, hope it works out just fine
QUOTE Thanks
Lehn

Quote:
Originally Posted by knemonic
thanks for the input, i am definetly going to buy a new one now and use my old one on my pc, this is going to be sweet!

later
Hi, did it work? Can you use your Apple Display under Linux on a PC?

I am planing to do the same thing. But at the moment I get a black screen whenever I start the XServer. I am using Suse Linux 9.1 and have a ATI Sapphire Radeon 9600XP
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« adding a 2nd scsi HD to an older mac | multi button trackball »