New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

120GB Apple TV for sale

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

loebjack

loebjack is on a distinguished road

I have a little project page to document the creation of a 120GB upgraded Apple TV. Take a look, it was fun and challenging to do the first few.
http://www.powermax.com/appletv-take-apart.php

Jacob Loeb
Ask Jacob
Articles
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Remember folks - there's a chance Apple might prevent these "hacked" devices from working in the future, so unless you know enough to be able to hack it yourself to circumvent future issues, I'd stay away from this modification unless you know your stuff.

Having said that, if I had one, I'd be all over this...
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong but if you were to buy this unit with the upgraded HDD the HDD would not be under warranty and its possible the whole units warranty would be voided through apple.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoDorSean View Post
someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong but if you were to buy this unit with the upgraded HDD the HDD would not be under warranty and its possible the whole units warranty would be voided through apple.
This is correct, the warranty would be void after this modification just like any modification to any of apples products that are defined as "not user serviceable items"

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

maybe I am just a negative person but I would not be comfortable paying $450 for a apple tv with no apple warranty.. it does come with a powermax 1 year warranty but who knows how good that could/would be.. another thing $150 extra for a apple tv with a HDD that is 80gb bigger? is it just me or is that WAY over priced 80gb HDD?

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
loebjack

loebjack is on a distinguished road

Well PowerMax is a Apple Authorized reseller and service center, so it is our intention to provide comparable support to what you get from Apple. The difference is that the Apple TV has to come to PowerMax for service. It is still a little new and there could be risks from Apple changes like Aptmunich suggested. Thats why it is a little more money then a drive alone, to cover warranty expenses.

Jacob Loeb
Ask Jacob
Articles
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I read an article, I think for Engadget, that mentioned the "non-functioning) USB port has already been hacked, so you can just connect and external disk.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Filename is too long pop up... arg.... | Looking for an external HDD for my Macbook »