New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Wandering Mouse

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gordoon

gordoon is on a distinguished road

Every once in a while, just as I'm about to scroll, my mouse's arrow takes off in a different direction than I want it to, usually ending up on the to or side of the screen. Any ideas?????

gordoon

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Is it an optical mouse on a wooden or glass desktop (no pad) ?

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

I have an optical mouse (compaq) that does that sometimes. Sorry, I can't tell you why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

your mousepad is to blame....the optical sensor might hit something on it registering it as a large movement, or if your cord hits something it might lift the mouse slightly also registering it as a few inch movement. make sure that everything is clean and shine-free
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
awrence

awrence will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz

I have the same phenomenon and do not have a mouse pad this is because, with a 24inch screen the pads are too small. Are there any good large alternatives for a mouse pad?
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

I have changed mouse pads today for the same reason. I thought it was flattening batteries at first. But changed the mouse pad, which was new a week ago, and the problem has magically gone.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

An optical mouse uses sight, not movement. It takes a snapshot of the surface below hundreds of times a second. It compares each image with the previous image, and from the difference it knows how far the mouse moved.

I found that wood grain tends to confuse the optical mouses a lot. I think there is too much going on in the image for it to pick a good place marker. So it'll confuse some grains of the wood with others.

One would think that an image with lots of character gives the optics lots of placemarkers to pick and therefore get better results. But I found that a blank piece of paper, or a flat black mouse pad gives the best, actually perfect, results.

QUOTE Thanks
opus_az

opus_az has a spectacular aura about

A glossy desk gave my mouse the same grief. I'm not a fan of mouse pads. They're too small and thickness bugs me. Found this one that's ultra thin and very large. http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?...tk=all&An=text

iMac, MB, MB Air, nano
QUOTE Thanks
awrence

awrence will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz

Thanks opus az for the information
QUOTE Thanks
gordoon

gordoon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the input. I have been using the mouse on my wood desk. I'll try a mousepad and hope this solves the problem. Glad to know I wasn't the only one to experience this. Thanks.

gordoon

I guessed right about the wood desk!! =)
Can I get a' arep!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Blue tooth webcam (wireless video streaming to my computer) | StyleWriter printer »