Apple TV Hot (as in temp)
    I have had Apple TV since day one and i have noticed that it gets really hot, don't know if this is normal not, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Also, is it always on or is there anyway to power it off besides pulling the power cord.

Thanks!

Yes, mine gets very hot as well. Almost to hot to touch. Huge debat at apple.com in the discussions forum as well.
    Brand New Mac User
    Looking to learn something new

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Anand of Anandtech took one apart. They use the top casing for the CPU Heat Sink.

They made it so THIN with a 1Ghz Intel CPU, I am not to shocked it runs as hot as it does.

I listened to a MacBreak posdcast about the AppleTV. One of the recurring themes was the temperature of the casing. It kept coming up and how hot it gets. Its definitely something that is getting noticed.

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    I listened to a MacBreak posdcast about the AppleTV. One of the recurring themes was the temperature of the casing. It kept coming up and how hot it gets. Its definitely something that is getting noticed.
    Like dtravis said, the top of the AppleTV is one giant heatsink, so it's SUPPOSED to get hot. It was designed that way in order to keep such a small form factor.

Plus, I don't see why this is such a big deal. Not like you have to hold it or come in direct contact with it on a regular basis.

I don't care if it gets that hot, I was just wondering if it was going to do damage to my apple tv running that hot, but if the heat sink is the whole top, then i'm fine with that, thanks

Standby
    I was worried about my appleTV running hot too. There is a standby mode that shuts off the video, you have to hold the play button down for 6 seconds and the light on the front goes off. It stays awake and connected to iTunes when in standby.

I'd like to see the standby implemented into a secondary timeout with the screensavers, but I'm sure that will come in time.

MacHeadCase
    Just wanted to say welcome to Mac-Forums, Hildy! Hope you stick around. :girl:

I was checking one out, it was on for about 5 mins, then I went to pick it up to look at the ports on the back and it was almost disturbingly HOT. Regardless, I think I am going to have to agree with Kash in that is was designed to do that so it isn't an issue.

Thread Information