New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

I just don't understand the attraction

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Believe me, I love Apple and many of their products. They've been very good at staying on the leading edge of tech. But this product just seems like a step back, limited feature product with a bloated pricetage.

The big draw is video content, because you can just get Airtunes for music. I just wouldn't want to pay for anything that doesn't provide HD content. My iTunes TV shows look bad enough on my 22" LCD, I can't imagine how bad they would be on a 50" Plasma. I was quietly hoping/expecting Apple to make some big announcement of a secret to start selling HD content on iTunes with the release of Apple TV, but I suppose that hope is gone. Personally, I would rather purchase a decent used Mac Mini and connect that to my TV. It's not much more money and you have so many more viewing options and capabilities.

Microsoft doesn't have much on Apple, but in the case of media content, they blow Apple away. Media Center has a lot of great features and combined with an Xbox 360, it can do all of Apple TV and more. Plus, you can actually purchase HD content and, when IPTV finally makes its big break (someday) Windows will be ready and Apple will be left behind.

I just don't understand this product. I love Apple, but this does nothing for me, and I'm a bit tired of being on iTunes lockdown. I chuckled a an article that said Apple makes Microsoft look like open source in comparison.

Just my 2 cents.
QUOTE Thanks
Willem

Willem will become famous soon enough

Stirring up a little flame bait on a boring Friday afternoon or something?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Believe me, I love Apple and many of their products. They've been very good at staying on the leading edge of tech. But this product just seems like a step back, limited feature product with a bloated pricetage.

I just don't understand this product. I love Apple, but this does nothing for me...
Well, I think you have hit on two important things here.

First being, not everything is made to please every person. Personally, I don't understand the need for the iPhone. Apple made it anyway. I will never find any use for that product and have no intention of ever buying one. To each his own.

The second thing is a little deeper. I think you are starting to realize that Apple is not the holiest of holies that many people make it out to be.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Macs and I have for many, many years. In the end, they are just computers. They aren't the best thing for everyone and sometimes there are better things out there on the market. Apple does make great products but they do release a few goose eggs now and then. They always have, this is nothing new. Their grand ideas for new things do backfire every once in a while and end up with something not so great. I believe that Apple TV and the iPhone could very well end up in that list. Just because it has an Apple logo on it and it comes in a shiny, white box ... does not make it the greatest invention since the wheel.

I think you are finally starting to see past the shiny haze of the smoke and mirrors show that Steve Jobs uses in his keynotes.:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

Oooh that smell. Can you smell that smell?
It smells like a TROLL.
*narf*
Everybody stirs up dust now and then.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofra View Post
Oooh that smell. Can you smell that smell?
It smells like a TROLL.
No, fleurya isn't a troll.
He is merely pointing out a simple fact of reality.
Apple TV isn't made for everyone. He is part of that group.

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I really wasn't trying to stirr up trouble or be a troll (my $2000 MBP begs to differ), I just feel this product doesn't meet up to Apple standards. I think the product has great potential, but the the media (HD content) has to catch up with the hardware. I'm sure Apple will eventually come out with HD content, then the Apple TV will be great. Until then, I'll just view my iTunes content on the old monitor.

I guess I just had a lot of stock in my prediction that HD content would be announced, and the lack of that announcement made me a little depressed and required a little post-venting.

Thanks Devilboy.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I totally agree with you. The lack of HD content along with the fact that I can't stream my video files in their native format is a big turn off. I don't want to have my computer converting gigabytes worth of videos just so that I can stream it to my plasma in the living room.

Another problem I have with the thing is that you practically need the new Airport Extreme base to stream videos properly. 802.11g just doesn't have the sort of bandwidth that can allow you to stream good quality videos without any hiccups.

Like you said, I wouldn't mind plopping down a bit more for a Mac Mini and connecting that to my TV. It's not like I'm missing out on quality since I can use the DVI cable for video and the optical cable for audio. Plus, you can do so much more like add an external hard drive to expand capacity and use the thing like an actual computer, which is great if I ever wanted to show a bunch of people a video on youtube (sure, quality isn't great, but it's much better than 6 people crowding around a laptop screen).
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

For ME after checking it out, I would rather just do what I am now doing and use my Core Duo Mini on my TV. It's plays 1080i perfectally and everything else, whether from iTunes or not and I can access it from any computer in the house and it can access any computer in the house and all the movies and music. Works great for ME and does all I need and more. I do not need to spend $$$ on another box that does not do all I can do right now.

I am sure Apple will sell a lot of them though for people who don't need all I do. It does it's job well, I just prefer a full computer for my use's.

Agreed with Kash on the 802.11g also. It's not really that fast and might get in the way with some formats.

Also well said DB.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

fleurya a troll? please. the guy with 10 posts not contributing to the discussion? hmmm.

dude, i'm with you, i don't get it either. i guess there might be a niche market for it, but the level of interest even here seems a bit high to me.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I know that it definitely appeals to the "I love Apple more than my life" category. Those die-hard fans who just swallow everything Steve Jobs gives them without asking questions.

My cousin is like this. He pre-ordered his AppleTV and thought I was stupid for not doing the same :rolleyes:
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

IF it did a few more things, for the price I would buy it.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I chuckled a an article that said Apple makes Microsoft look like open source in comparison.

Just my 2 cents.
Geez I feel old...

I used a 1st gen Macintosh at work, as in, this was 1984. No joke.

Apple made it known that everyone who worked on the Mac had their signature embossed in the case. HOWEVER, to get inside you had to have this tool that looked not unlike a bit brace. They figured you had no reason whatsoever to be inside their machine. I'm amazed that the culture is such that I can switch my hard drive and RAM and not violate my warranty.

Apple wants you to buy from them and not know what's going on inside the pretty boxes. The comparison you mentioned makes sense.

At the same time, the machine works well. I come from the Windows/Unix/Linux world. There's value here, at least in my MacBook. I'll take a little hubris if justified.

Just my two bits...

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

A sad fact is that Apple TV has a ridiculously small target market.

1) Only US-Residents can really make use of it.
2) Only someone who doesn't care much for HD content
3) Only someone who has the appropriate TV setup to make it worthwile that
4) it costs this much.

I think Apple TV is more of a symbolic product than anything else. It's just trying to say "hey, where all over the place now", and Apple should finally strap together and start doing something about the Macs, it's high time we see some software.

They're doing pathetic things right now and their focus is swerving out of hand. The KISS principle that brought them back up in 1998 is beginning to fall apart.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
I think Apple TV is more of a symbolic product than anything else. It's just trying to say "hey, where all over the place now", and Apple should finally strap together and start doing something about the Macs, it's high time we see some software.

They're doing pathetic things right now and their focus is swerving out of hand. The KISS principle that brought them back up in 1998 is beginning to fall apart.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Let other companies worry about making an "Apple TV" type device. Work with a third party and let that company release and sell the product. Co-brand it if neccessary, but Apple shouldn't try to be everything to everyone like they are heading towards.
Apple started with computers and did extremely well. That is their strong point. They let the success of the iPod go to their heads and now they think they can conquer other markets outside of the realm of computers. That simply isn't the case.
Apple needs to center itself as a company again and get back to doing what they do best... making computers and software.

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, apple set top box with a narrow audience that apple probably should have outsourced or stayed away from in the first place?

sounds familiar.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet Radio? | Where is all of my memory going? »