New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

HP PSC 1200 as a network printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

devilkin

devilkin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MB 13.3" / iPod Nano 2nd gen

Hello all,

I've recently bought a macbook, great, works good. The only problem I have sofar is that I can't seem to get my HP PSC 1200 printer (copier/scanner/printer model) working as a network printer in Mac OSX.

The Printer is connected to my linux machine, which serves it over Samba - so I do see the printer in MacOS in the add printer part, but I just can't find a driver for it.

On the HP site there's a download that you can install which makes the printer usable when connected directly to to the machine, but this is not what I want - I want to be able to print remotely to it.

Anyone any idea?

Thanks,

Jan
QUOTE Thanks
Rtas09

Rtas09 is an unknown at this point

Mac doesnt support any drivers for HP, lols what u need is cannon, thats the ones that they support, i have a Canon PIXMA MP500 but its huge, it can print and scan, but im not sure what u want in size. But Hp is out of the question..mac just doesnt support it.
QUOTE Thanks
Rtas09

Rtas09 is an unknown at this point

Mac doesnt support, Hp so ure gonna need Canon. I have a canon PIXMA MP500 but if u want something smaller i suggest not to go with what i got. But HP is out of the question, mac doesnt simply support any drivers for it, u need Cannon.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtas09 View Post
Mac doesnt support any drivers for HP
Wrong.
I use an HP printer myself.
The OP even said that the printer worked when directly connected to his machine.

To the OP, have you tried connecting the printer to your Mac directly and then using your Linux machine to connect to it in order to print?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
devilkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Wrong.
I use an HP printer myself.
The OP even said that the printer worked when directly connected to his machine.

To the OP, have you tried connecting the printer to your Mac directly and then using your Linux machine to connect to it in order to print?
Nope, I haven't tried that. It would seem kinda silly, since my linux machine is a desktop, and the Macbook is a laptop.

But I just tried it, and it works. So the drivers are fine, it's just that somehow I have to pry the driver into working over a network. Does anyone have any idea what the driver might look like? On windows, it's kinda obvious (.sys, .dll, .inf), but I'm kinda 'green' wrt Mac's
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Just wondering if you were able to get your printer working over your network.
If you haven't, here are a couple links to the Apple Support page that might help a bit:

Connecting to a network printer

Connecting to an IP printer

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
bwh1248

bwh1248 is on a distinguished road

Hello, my friend is having the same problem with the same printer. Did you ever figure out the solution?

Thanks...

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
devilkin

Nope, I never got it to work... I just print postscript these days straight to my linux box, which then processes it.. works too
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro on hdtv vga or hdmi | MyBook Won't Mount »