Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Treo 700p...

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Apr 21, 2005
    Posts
    765
    Exclamation Treo 700p...
    Does anybody have one of these PDA phones?

    I'm interested in getting one but I'm hearing horror stories about syncing with Mac.

    Anybody?

  2. #2

    mac57's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2006
    Location
    St. Somewhere
    Posts
    4,560
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    What, not waiting for the iPhone? You may be banned for being a heretic! :dive:
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Apr 21, 2005
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
    What, not waiting for the iPhone? You may be banned for being a heretic! :dive:
    From what I am hearing about the Treo 700p and syncing problems getting an iPhone my be the way to go. BUT, I want to do something now.

  4. #4

    mac57's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2006
    Location
    St. Somewhere
    Posts
    4,560
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Its almost April, and iPhone comes out in June (I think). Three months. You can do it CrossBones. Take a deep breath and repeat after me... I can wait... I can wait .... I can wait... :dive:
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Apr 21, 2005
    Posts
    765
    If nobody on this forum is using the Treo 700p than I think I have my answer.

    It's probably not for mac users!

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2006
    Posts
    32
    I just bought a Treo "P" and I love it. I have no problem syncing with my Mac Pro. The proper procedure is to invoke Apple iSync and then hit the hotsync button on the phone. It syncs my contacts and address book with no problem. I use the Documents-to-Go to load Microsoft Office files on the phone. Edits on the phone are synced with the Office documents on the Mac Pro with no problem.

    You can load and use any Palm software and with the 2 or 4 gb SD cards you can load a large quantify of files or music as well.

    As for the iPhone, it looks interesting but I am one of those tha never buys the first edition of anything and until they are available on Verizon it is just not for me.

    Hope this helps.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Apr 21, 2005
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by cipher View Post
    I just bought a Treo "P" and I love it. I have no problem syncing with my Mac Pro. The proper procedure is to invoke Apple iSync and then hit the hotsync button on the phone. It syncs my contacts and address book with no problem. I use the Documents-to-Go to load Microsoft Office files on the phone. Edits on the phone are synced with the Office documents on the Mac Pro with no problem.

    You can load and use any Palm software and with the 2 or 4 gb SD cards you can load a large quantify of files or music as well.

    As for the iPhone, it looks interesting but I am one of those tha never buys the first edition of anything and until they are available on Verizon it is just not for me.

    Hope this helps.
    WOW thanks for the information cipher.

    Frankly I have researched this all over the Internet and you are the very first person that reports having 'no problems' with syncing especially using iSync. Are you able to sync with iCal which would be the best of all worlds? Any additional information you can pass along would be helpful. Also what about your email/ What's the story on that? (REP for you bro).

    Thanks in advance.

  8. #8

    captaindan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 30, 2005
    Posts
    143
    I have had my 700P for about 6 months and i love it. I just got my Mac about two weeks ago and i still love it, works great.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Apr 21, 2005
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    I have had my 700P for about 6 months and i love it. I just got my Mac about two weeks ago and i still love it, works great.
    I'm encouraged.

    How is the call quality? And are you able to sync with iCal? Can yo relate your experience with email and what client the Treo uses these days? I asked at the Sprint Store but they have very limited product knowledge. They basically are trained to operate the cash register and very little else. Especially when it comes to issues related to the mac.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2006
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossBones View Post
    WOW thanks for the information cipher.

    Frankly I have researched this all over the Internet and you are the very first person that reports having 'no problems' with syncing especially using iSync. Are you able to sync with iCal which would be the best of all worlds? Any additional information you can pass along would be helpful. Also what about your email/ What's the story on that? (REP for you bro).

    Thanks in advance.

    I did find that iCal works best if you put the info in the Treo and then sync to iCal. This is especially true of multi-day events. There is a difference in the way that iCal and Palm handle them and the most data will show up if done in the sequence listed above. Tre doing it in reverse order and the difference will become readily apparent.

    One thing I would not do again is have my phone numbers transferred from my old phone into the treo when it was activated. Just leave the phone blank and put all of the information in the Apple address book. It will sync much better that way. Again, the way the phone takes the data is a little different that the way the address book does and I found if much cleaner to do it this way. After getting it all setup it hasn't been a problem.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Apr 21, 2005
    Posts
    765
    Man I went over to the Sprint Store again today to talk with them about the syncing issue and frankly NOBODY there has a clue regarding the entire issue. The employees there are just not knowledgeable and when you mention "mac" they look at you with the deer in the headlights look. Very frustrating.

    Cipher, sounds like you have a good handle on how to sync this thing but frankly I'm not that comfortable with it and don't know all the in's and outs. In all the reading I have done online about syncing the Treo 700p you are the first one who has ever told me they have been successful syncing to iCal. So you're using iSync to sync to iCal?

    Anyway having to rely on support from Sprint is just not felling very good. Palm support is completely useless. One of the worst experiences I have ever had is dealing with Palm support. In fact, now it's over in India...you do the math on that one!

    I'm just skeptical I suppose. Going to spend that kinda of cheese on a smart phone and then have nothing but headaches isn't my idea of a good time. If they had any idea how to help me at the Sprint Store I might just do it but I have been to like three of them and it's always the same thing...pretty frustrating.

    Thanks again for the input and help man. Appreciate it.

  12. #12

    mac57's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2006
    Location
    St. Somewhere
    Posts
    4,560
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    [smug mode]

    Crossbones, ready for that iPhone yet? :dive:

    [/smug mode]
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

  13. #13


    Member Since
    Apr 21, 2005
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
    [smug mode]

    Crossbones, ready for that iPhone yet? :dive:

    [/smug mode]
    -- never.

    I have the feeling the iPhone is gonna be a bad idea. Just sayin'.

  14. #14

    captaindan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 30, 2005
    Posts
    143
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/
    Try this you will find all kinds of stuff, good and bad.

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Apr 21, 2005
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/
    Try this you will find all kinds of stuff, good and bad.
    I've read a lot of stuff there. And, for the most part, everything I've read regarding the Treo 700p and the mac is not good especially with regards to syncing issues. That is why I was so shocked to hear two people telling me it's "no problem"...

    I guess I'm just afraid to try it with all the negative feedback have read.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Palm Treo 700P Address Book Transfer
    By martman7208 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 09:04 PM
  2. Trading a Treo 700w for a 700p
    By hotskate in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 08:25 PM
  3. 700p, Mail, and GMail
    By mdjerome in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 12:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •