New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

WD 500GB Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Hi guys,
As part of the deal at work I got a WD 500-Gig Pro My Book ext HDD,

I was wondering about strategies for use .

I'll use it for back ups and maybe move my music library and Photos.

Should I partition it ?

What about this booting from an extern disk I keep hearing about ?

Should it have it's own partition ? what size ? and how do I do it ?

maybe a link or too would help me

what set up have you ?

I'd love to hear what you all suggest.:black:
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

can anyone help with this...shameless Bump ....sorry
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

You seem to have a 500 GB hard drive in your iMac and a 500 GB external now. I would be inclined to use it simply for backup. Since your iMac hard drive and your external match in size, you can literally back up by dragging and dropping your home directory from your Mac onto the external, and that is it! Very easy, no backup software needed.

I do just this myself. I have a 250 GB hard disk in my Mac and a 250 GB external hard drive. Again, the sizes match and I just drag n drop for backup. Nice and easy. Backing up HAS to be easy, or people won't do it.

I don't see any advantage in partitioning and setting up multi boot unless you are inclined to tinkering with computers. That is a personal call.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Firstly thank you. I'm a bit confused . You mean Home Directory and not Home folder? you mention Dragging it to the External disk. From where do I drag it ?do I have to copy it first ? Sorry I'm a bit slow

PS tried to give you a rep but I have to spread them first I'm told
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The directory / folder is basically the same thing. Just go to the Mac system disk -> users and you should find your home folder/directory. Drag and drop this folder on your external disk drive and it will make a copy of it on the external disk drive.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

Yeah, just what rman says. It is my Linux heritage showing. Directory, folder, what's the difference?

But yes, in Mac parlance, it is your home folder.

Re the drag n drop approach, all you need is two finder windows, one showing your home folder and the other showing the external hard drive.

To get the first one, double click the "Macintosh HD" icon on your desktop and then double click the Users folder. You should now see a window with a few folders in it, one of which is named the same as your user ID. That is your home folder.

To get the second one, plug in the external drive. It will mount on the desktop. Double click it to open it. That is the second window. I would generally advise creating a top level folder called something like "2007-03-21 Backup" (of course, change the date part to reflect the date you are doing the backup on), and double clicking it to open that folder.

Now, one window is showing your home folder as a folder, and the other is open to a blank new folder on the hard drive. To backup, just drag your home folder icon from the first window to the second and release the mouse. Mac OS X will now obligingly copy the entire contents of your home folder to the folder on your backup drive.

It may take a while to do this depending on how much data you have, but it is that easy. Open the two windows, do one drag n drop, wait for it to finish and you are done. Close the external hard drive's window, eject the drive and you are done.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Ok I'll give it a go and report back this weekend
thanks all
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Well I had some time on my hands and have fumbled with the disk.
I didn't know what to re format the disk as so I went for GUID partition Table.
But when I went to re install the Button manager the software installer shows me a picture of my HD and the Ext HDD however this has a Red Exclamation mark on it . It won't let me install the software there only on my internal disk.

I tried a home folder back up with .Macs Backup and that went OK until I had to eject the disk...It wouldn't, saying close all applications first. I re booted my Mac and now it dismounts ok.....

Question What is the best Partition format for the disk:

Mac os Extended Journaled (The one I choose)
Mac OS extended
Mac Os Extended case sensitive
Unix file system
Free space
Ms Dos file system (Non starter that one I think)

Any help would be great.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

You chose the right one. The "journaled" part is the key part. Journaled file systems are much more resilient in the face of sudden power failures and they also recover a lot faster if corruption does occur. Basically, they keep a copy of every write transaction in an on disk record keeping area called a journal.

If the disk dies in the middle of a transaction, and that transaction is still marked as open in the journal, recovery is usually as simple as "replaying" the journal entry. MUCH faster than scanning the ENTIRE disk for possible corruption. With a journalled system, the Mac knows exactly what it was up to when the lights went out and can zero right in on it to detect and repair any possible damage.

You chose the right one!

QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

One more question Why the red Exclamation point ?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

I don't mean to sound stupid, but what red Exclamation point? I didn't put one in my post, and as I review it here, I don't see one. More details please?

QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

From Post Nr 8
Quote:
But when I went to re install the Button manager the software installer shows me a picture of my HD and the Ext HDD however this has a Red Exclamation mark on it . It won't let me install the software there only on my internal disk.
It looks like this

I was just wondering if this is normal ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Didn't find any specific info on the WD Button Mgr installation.
Logically, I would think this should be correct. Device drivers and apps for all the hardware I have purchased install to the OS, not to the device itself.

If you were booting from an OS on the external drive, then it would install to the external.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Thanks Bobtomay, I understand. It's just before I formatted the Extern disk it had the software there. Maybe it's a case of me not understanding the procces. I'll write to WD and ask .
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yeah, remember reading that the software comes on the drive along with the CD. Would think even in this case you would still be installing it to OS X.

OK, I know there are some MyBook users out there, ya'll know anything?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lacie Fire Wire Speakers | XServe or NAS device? »