New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Color Laser Printers... Are they worth it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

I print a lot. I've been looking into color laser printers but not too seriously, so this is just a question out of curiosity. I've been using my HP Deskjet F380 for all my printing work and it has treated me pretty well, but at work we just got a brand new color laser printer and the color quality seems to be sharper and nicer than most inkjet printers. I just wanted to hear what anyone's opinion was on them.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

For high speed printing of color text, charts, etc. you'll probably get better performance from a color laser.

For photographs, color laser printers can't touch the flexibility and capability of a good photo inkjet. But you sacrifice speed and, in some cases, ink costs.

It's also worth noting that a basic color laser printer will cost as much or more than a very nice inkjet.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

The way I see it, from a price perspective, and usage. Most consumers will be fine with a decent inkjet, but a business should have lasers for the quality at faster speeds.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchR View Post
The way I see it, from a price perspective, and usage. Most consumers will be fine with a decent inkjet, but a business should have lasers for the quality at faster speeds.
I see what you're saying. The Color Laser printer where I work is about $900 I believe and it's big enough to probably make my desk collapse.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

We have three color lasers in my office. We got them for a steal. A color refill is about $300 and we got the printers for $400. It's almost silly.

The 2 things I hate about inkjet
1) You have to constantly use it. Otherwise everything gets all gunked up and you have to shell out cash to replace non-empty ink carts.
2) The pages get wet. Depending on the paper, it'll wrinkle. Or if you're not careful, smudge.

Laser color does not have either of these problems. I love them to death. If I really want a real photo print, I'll beam my photos to CVS 2 miles down the road (same machines/output as sending through iphoto).

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mag Safe Power Adapter and Hard Drives | APC UPS control/status software »