New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Samsung Synchmaster 226BW 22" Widescreen - /Drool

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrJoshua

MrJoshua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo

OMG...

I went out and bought the above monitor today...

I'm running it off my Macbook with the DVI adapter at 1680x1050 and I think I'm in love!!!

Here's the review that helped me make the decision:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displa...aster-226BW/p1

Just thought I'd share that with you

Cheers

Josh (UK)
Fairly Recent Switcher
QUOTE Thanks
Martin.

Martin. is a jewel in the roughMartin. is a jewel in the rough

wow, what a nice monitor.

~Martin.

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Looks great - nice monitor!

This post inspired me to look up a few monitors for comparison. Here are a few key specs:

Samsung 226 BW (the subject of this thread):
- Brightness: 300 cd/m2
- Contrast: 1000:1
- Response Time: 2 ms
- Resolution: 1680x1050

Viewsonic VP2130b (my current monitor):
- Brightness: 300 cd/m2
- Contrast: 1000:1
- Response Time: 8 ms
- Resolution: 1600x1200

Apple Cinema, 23":
- Brightness: 400 cd/m2
- Contrast: 700:1
- Response Time: 14 ms
- Resolution: 1920x1200

What do I conclude from this? Well, two things. From this small sample, I would have to say that the new Samsung is the standard bearer - that 2 ms response time is excellent! Second, Apple REALLY needs to update the Cinema line - it is starting to look "long in the tooth".

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I have the Syncmaster 206BW.. it's identical spec wise, but only has 20" opposed to 22".

It's a pretty nice monitor... it's nearer to the 20" Apple display though - both in price and resolution...

One thing though: I think Apple's displays have better colour calibration out of the box, I spent quite a while messing around with this one to get the colour's to look natural...
QUOTE Thanks
MQStubbs

MQStubbs is on a distinguished road

I have just switched to a Mac Mini and cannot get the Samsung SM226 to work with it properly and get 1680 x 1050 resolution. Can anyone suggest what I can do to get it working OK - the utility SwitchRes doesn't seem to help.

MQ Stubbs
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What resolution is showing up? Open Displays in System Preferences.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Samsung SM226 BW and Mac Mini | External hard drive wakes computer from sleep »