New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

G3 graphics card

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

datasmog

I'm new to Macs. I have a beige G3 desktop, rev 3, was 266 now has a Sonnet Encore Zif G4 500 upgrade card installed along with 768meg of ram and a 40 gig maxtor drive.
I have a Formac Proformance 80 pci graphics card installed, which came out of a powermac 8600/250, in which it worked perfectly. It worked ok on the G3 using OS9.2. with the original 266 processor and the Encore G4.
I have installed OSX 10.2 and the graphics card will not not work. The OS knows it's there, but if I plug a monitor in nothing shows. (VGA monitor).
Using the built in graphics chip I am limited to 800 x 600 screen resolution.
2 questions.
How can I get the Formac card to work. I can't find any drivers for it and those that came with it don't work in OSX. All I can find is drivers for proFormance 3 cards. The 80 seems to have been deleted from history.
Or how can I increase the screen resolution with the built in graphics chip. There are no alternative resolutions listed in the display properties.
Thanks for any help.

More information.
I should add that the card was not in the machine when I installed OSX. Coming from Windows I expected the OS to recognize and install any new hardware on re boot. Is this right?
QUOTE Thanks
kay_mac

Have just seen your post from last year. I also have a Formac Proformance 80 pci graphics card (ROM says "GA5" - PART NO: PNGA 50-3) and I have not been able to find any driver information, whether for OS9 or 0SX.

Totally agree that the 80 seems to have been deleted from history. I was hoping to use it with Panther on a G4. Does anyone know if this PCI card is automatically recognised by the software?

kay_mac :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
Matt

Good luck...
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I think that card is a bit out of date
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« YOUR Mac setup | iglide hinge lube »