New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Filename is too long pop up... arg....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Romifly

Romifly is on a distinguished road

Hi,

my names Romi, and I've been addicted to Macs for 5 years...

my latest problem is that when I copy files from my laptop to my lacie external hard drive i get this pop up for certain files, during the copying, saying that the filename is too long and it won't copy that file, it means i have to go and alter the name of the file, which is really and inconvenience when your copying trance mp3's that have names like "Entering the dimensions of botanicall life to breathe the essence of God.mp3",
does anyone know how i can get around this without having to modify the name?

??????
aaargggg
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Welcome Romifly!!!

I think there is an easy answer to your problem. I would bet that your hard drive is formatted for FAT32? If you reformat for HFS+, this should resolve the issue.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Romifly

well i checked and it's formatted at the moment in HFS (no "+" sign), i wonder if i should restore? i can't loose the information on the disk though, and it seems like restore is pretty much like formatting the disk, and my laptop doesnt have a cd burner to do a backup.

any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

That might explain it. I believe that HFS (used pre Mac OS X) limited file names to 31 chars length. In the days when PCs used the old 8.3 format for file names, this was a huge luxury, but it has become a limitation these days.

If you reformat for HFS+, you should be fine.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
Romifly

kool, thanx for that, but, how do I reformat to HFS+?? does it mean i loose all my data?

thanx a lot for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

with formatting you usually lose all data on the drive
QUOTE Thanks
Romifly

yeah, i know, but is there no way of changing the format without having to format?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

No, unfortunately not. So, you need to backup your data first, then reformat, which wipes the drive clean, and then restore your data. Sorry, I am not away of pretty much ANY operating sytem that supports on-the-fly reformating with no loss of data.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External HD wont open on Macbook Pro | 120GB Apple TV for sale »