New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mighty Mouse

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I rest my index finger on the scroll wheel 50% of the time. The other 50% it's on the left button. When I right click, my index finger lifts into the air - it's a reflex action for me! I've always done it, which is why I didn't notice the right button didn't work until I read it on Wikipedia and was amazed to find out it was right!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
The thing with the MM is that it senses if your left finger is touching the surface. The whole thing is touch sensitive, even the clicking sound you hear is not real (the MM has a little speaker in it).
Hey can you disable this sound? And btw how loud is this sound. Cause I'm after a mouse with a really quiet/non existent clicking sound. Is the MM a quiet mouse? If not can you suggest me an alternative?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I'm not too sure about that little speaker thing making a sound with the MM. The clicking sound appears to be pretty mechanical, and I can still hear it when I turn the mouse off.
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Hey can you disable this sound? And btw how loud is this sound. Cause I'm after a mouse with a really quiet/non existent clicking sound. Is the MM a quiet mouse? If not can you suggest me an alternative?

Thanks.
I have a MM right here and if I unplug it and right click (or left click) it makes a clicking noise so unless someone has invented a speaker that works without any power the speaker myth is well and truly busted.

The truth of the matter is that the MM has a single "click" switch which is well and truly a physical switch, on top of that is a touch sensitive exterior which modifies that physical switch depending on the sensed contact points, if the contact points are multiple (i.e you are pressing down equally with several fingers) it defaults to left click whereas if you only press down on the right hand side of the exterior it registers as a right click.

Couldn't be simpler really.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
mary18

mary18 is on a distinguished road

are you people who are right and left clicking PC people, because for l0 years I have had a mac and there IS NO RIGHT CLICK. We have a mouse with one click or double click...what in the world is a left click in the mac world?
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary18 View Post
are you people who are right and left clicking PC people, because for l0 years I have had a mac and there IS NO RIGHT CLICK. We have a mouse with one click or double click...what in the world is a left click in the mac world?
Left click is your single click, right click is the equivelent of what happens if you click whilst holding down the ctrl key. Plug a two or three button mouse into you Mac and try it out for yourself.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

This mouse always looked like a cool idea to me but for some reason I can't help thinking that it would give me a problem with accurate clicking. I'm a big fan of the Macbook trackpad and when I get a mouse it'll probably be the old standby one button job =)
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

After switching to Mac I gave up my Apple mouse and switched to a Logitec TrackerBall. Never had a problem with it right clicking or anything else.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary18 View Post
Sorry mary18 but there is right-clicking: in fact it has been around for a while...

Apple's Mighty Mouse has left and right-clicking:

Quote:
The Button That Wasn’t
Alas the fate of the one-button mouse in today’s multibutton world. Who has time for intuitive, elegant design when there is so much clicking to do? Thanks to a smooth top shell with touch-sensitive technology beneath, Mighty Mouse allows you to right click without a right button. Capacitive sensors under Mighty Mouse’s seamless top shell detect where your fingers are and predict your clicking intentions, so you don’t need two buttons — just two fingers. Click on the left side to use Mighty Mouse in its simplest, single-button form. Click on the right to access contextual menus within applications and edit, copy, label or download from your mouse. It’s simple sleight of hand.
And before the right-click for the Mac, Apple developed the Contextual Menu clicking which was basically the same as right-clicking but needed only that you hold down the Control key as you clicked.

From Contextual Menu Basics:

Quote:
The contextual menu feature introduced with Mac OS 8 continues this idea. While holding down the Control key, a user can click the mouse while above some information he wants to manipulate. The information could be selected text, a picture, some database tables or anything we traditionally think of as exportable data. A popup menu appears to provide him with all the commands related to this data. Even if no data is selected, the user can see commands related to the window, document or application.
QUOTE Thanks
peat

peat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33 20" imac 2g ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
The thing with the MM is that it senses if your left finger is touching the surface. The whole thing is touch sensitive, even the clicking sound you hear is not real (the MM has a little speaker in it).
are you serious? the speaker part lol.

ive never even noticed that i have to lift my finger off the left to use the right click, it just came natural from the first time i used it. i love my mighty mouse. it is a little big though. and my trackball keeps getting gunk inside.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Ditto - I never had a problem right-clicking. In fact, I never heard of this "you must lift your left finger off" deal until many months after I purchased it and thought the person was high or something. Then I tried it with my left finger on it and was surprised to fin he was right!

The "little speaker making the click noise" is 100% BS though.

I've had my MBP and MM for a year now. 6 months ago my MM stopped scrolling down only and I took it in for a replacement. The guy didn't even check it to verify and got me a new one. Just this week the same problem happened, so I'll be heading back to get another. Luckily I got it covered by the 3 year Applecare plan since I bought it with my MBP.

Having to take it in is a minor annoyance, but I'm willing to deal with it for everything I love about it: sleek low-profile design, 4 buttons that are essentially invisible, scroll ball beats to pants of scroll wheels, quick BT connection to my MBP (even in Vista).

There have been rumors of a new MM with no moving parts: the face and sides would be touch sensitive for scrolling and clicking. As a gamer, I don't know about not having a tactile response, but losing the scroll ball problem would be nice.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Moniter | Western Digital MyBook World Edition II and my Macbook »