New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Macbook won't print to WinXP printer - help please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jacefox

jacefox is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD

Ok, so here's my setup first:

13" Macbook, OS X Tiger, 1.83GHz C2D, 1GB, 60GB.

Dell Dimension 8100, WinXP Pro, 1.3GHz P4, 512MB, 2x 40GB HDD, 20GB HDD.

Brother HL-2040 laser printer

Problem:

For the life of me, I cannot get my MacBook to print to my laser printer on my WinXP Pro server. I do not believe this is a network issue - I also have 2 other WinXP computers that can print to it fine.

I've made several attempts to get this to work and have failed. Get the following errors:

"Unable to connect to SAMBA host - will retry in 60 seconds ... DEBUG: SendPageData() HalftonePixMap"

which then turns into this error:

"connection failed with error - NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY"

I've done everything listed in these two links.

http://lowendmac.com/mac2win/06/0201.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-130238.html

I've also disabled firewall to see if this was causing a problem. I even checked the support site for Brother printers to see what they recommended. No luck.

I've noticed in the forum several other individuals have had similar issues. Has anyone had any luck without having to go buy additional hardware such as an Airport Extreme?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

Lisa will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB

Let me know if you figure this out - I can't print either
QUOTE Thanks
jacefox

I just broke down and ordered a new D-Link router with a print server.

Should be interesting to see if this is ever fixed though.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

SAMBA is the program that allows your Mac to communicate using Server Message Blocks, a networking protocol that Windows uses. If SAMBA is displaying an error, it's because it can't connect due to a network problem. When you say that you turned off the firewall, is that Windows' firewall you're talking about or the firewall on your router?

Also, for those of you that can connect, but can't print, look at the Networking Printers FAQ. This will also be relevant when using the D-LINK print server that was mentioned.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

mac57's great network printing guide
QUOTE Thanks
jacefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
When you say that you turned off the firewall, is that Windows' firewall you're talking about or the firewall on your router?
I've disabled every firewall I can - both on MacBook (I had initially turned it on) and on my Windows XP Pro PC. At this time do not seem to have the ability to disable my firewall on my router. Bear in mind that this is a Network Everywhere branded Linksys router - model NR041. Uses NAT as its firewall. I've had it for a couple of years - so an updated router won't hurt.

Quote:
Also, for those of you that can connect, but can't print, look at the Networking Printers FAQ. This will also be relevant when using the D-LINK print server that was mentioned.
Actually - I have seen that thread and have tried everything there. To no avail though. Thanks again though!
QUOTE Thanks
jacefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
I would love it if it were that simple!! Unfortunately, I'm printing from a Windows XP Pro computer. No point in buying a MacBook if you have to connect a printer to it and can't be mobile.

I'm glad to hear that the Epson was easy to setup though. I also have an Epson Photo Stylus R200 printer. Can't even set it up right now.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacefox View Post
I've disabled every firewall I can - both on MacBook (I had initially turned it on) and on my Windows XP Pro PC. At this time do not seem to have the ability to disable my firewall on my router. Bear in mind that this is a Network Everywhere branded Linksys router - model NR041. Uses NAT as its firewall. I've had it for a couple of years - so an updated router won't hurt.

Actually - I have seen that thread and have tried everything there. To no avail though. Thanks again though!
In your case, I don't think you're even getting a connection. Have you tried setting up Bonjour? The router's firewall shouldn't be an issue since that is acting as a firewall for the Internet (not the internal LAN). Are you sure the settings you're using are correct?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacefox View Post
I would love it if it were that simple!! Unfortunately, I'm printing from a Windows XP Pro computer. No point in buying a MacBook if you have to connect a printer to it and can't be mobile.

I'm glad to hear that the Epson was easy to setup though. I also have an Epson Photo Stylus R200 printer. Can't even set it up right now.

Thanks again.
Your printer is shared from your Mac and you're trying to connect to it from an XP machine. Is that right?
QUOTE Thanks
jacefox

Quote:
Your printer is shared from your Mac and you're trying to connect to it from an XP machine. Is that right?
No, printer is shared from Windows XP Pro computer. Trying to print from my Macbook.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
jacefox

Hey everyone,

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I bought a D-Link DI-704UP router w/ print server and I'm now printing to my Brother HL-2040 laser printer from my Macbook. I'm listing my printer model for future people as the HL-2040 is not technically on the supported list for D-Link. However, per Brother, any Brother printer bought within the last 3 years should work on this D-Link print server.

I still don't know why I could not print with my old router, but that's cool. Everything works now - and that's what counts.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

Glad to hear that you've got it working.

What was the model of your old router?
QUOTE Thanks
jacefox

It was a Network Everywhere NR041 from Linksys. Cheap router when I bought it - probably about $35 - 45 a year and a half ago.
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

Thanks - I have a Linksys WRT54GS. I'm still researching whether or not I need a new printer or a new router.
QUOTE Thanks
jacefox

What printer do you have?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need help real quick! | Firmware update for Pioneer 110D? »