New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Missing Hard Drive Space

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BigDaddy

BigDaddy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook w/ 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 512MB memory & SuperDrive

When I bought my MacBook I had an 80GB HD. I installed Bootcamp and then back around Christmas I decided to get rid of BootCamp and made a mistake of deleting BootCamp before I removed the Windows partition. Anyway I was able to remove the partition but I just noticed that I don't have an 80GB drive any more. It is only showing up as a 55GB drive.

Does anyone know where the remaining 25Gigs went?
And how do I get it back?

Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I don't suppose that 25G was the size of the now removed Windows partition was it? It may be that you removed the partition, but the existing Mac OS X partition is still the same size it always was. Removing a partition doesn't automatically return the space to the other partitions. That has to be done manually I'm afraid, and I *think*, for Macs, that involves a full re-install of Mac OS X, since in essense you need to reformat your hard drive.

Does anyone know of Mac OS X tools that will do a resize of an existing HFS+ partition "in situ", without disturbing the current contents? I am not aware of one, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Sandwichman

Sandwichman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD

You could try downloading the Boot Camp software from Apple again and see if it gives you the option to return it to a single partition... Might work.

Sitting, waiting, wishing...
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

ipartition is "supposed" to do that but I have mixed feelings about using it.
And it's not free.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Hard Drive Reccomendations | Printer Problems with Tiger Upgrade »