New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

KVM options for a new mac and pc user

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

onestep

I just recently purchased an iBook G4 and I want to use it as my primary PC.

I already have an IOGear ps/2 KVM switch, but the keyboard and mouse problems leave me out in the cold with the MAC since there is no ps2 on it.

I have a PC with PS2 & USB inputs, I have a current keyboard and mouse that are both PS2, but I just ordered an apple USB keyboard and mouse.

Maybe I should just go with a dock and a monitor for the ibook. It would be nice to save some energy with only one monitor, and some desk real estate with one keyboard and mouse.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what route I should go to be able to share a keyboard, video, and monitor (and usb would be nice too ;-).

Thanks
jon
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

jon,
got the greatest anwser to your question if your running XP microsoft release a free download off the mactopia website which will allow you to remote desktop to your pc, that way you can control your pc from your mac with a lil window...no need for an xtra monitor and other pc cludder...plus you have a mac...what would you need the pc for now anyways
QUOTE Thanks
simianspaceman

you can get ps2/usb converters. thet wouls be your best bet
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

I had the exact same problem, and I solved it by using a PS/2 to USB converter. You plug in both your keyboard and mouse (or just one) into it, and it plugs into a single USB port.

It's really nice having the switch, so I can quickly flip back and forth between computers. However, I don't recommend PowerbookG417's suggestion, to using a software client to do it. You'll experience a LOT of slowdown, and it won't be very useable. I use it to log into my server now and then, and it's okay for that.
QUOTE Thanks
mysteriousal

Hi Guys
I am in a similar situation. I have an old G4 and a G5 next to each other- I'm happy to have two sets of keyboards and mice, but would like the G4 to share my G5's secondary monitor.... any good little switch that I can use to quickly flip between secondary G5 and G4? do things like different screen resolutions on different machines make any difference to this?

I'm not worried about sound or anything on the G4- I only need the monitor...
QUOTE Thanks
BillSkinzFifth

Try the Belkin KVM switch. I have the dual head model so I can run dual monitors on all computers (model #F1DH104U)
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149605
I am running 3 PCs and A G4 500 all w/ Dual monitors, one keybaord, one mouse. It works pretty well. They also have a PS/2 version. It supports ridiculous resolutions (2048X1536 @85Hz) and each machine can run independant resolutions on each screen.

i.e. I was running 1600X1200 on my main monitor and 1280X960 on the secondary, but have since changed it to 1600X1200

It also has 2 extra USB ports that can be shared between all CPUs.

jEFf
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Found a place for *book LCD screen replacements | Mac KVM switch box! »