New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Hooking up an emac to a linksys router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ddzc

Hi everyone, very nice site you guys have up

Anyway im installing a card for an emac. I was told that a WUSB11 Wireless USB adapter works fine with it. When I put the card in, an icon appears, and a menu appears. There's 1 option available stating "open internet connections" A window pops up and asks about a VPN (L2TP over IPSEC) to be configured. Under that theres an option to click to configure the vpn or configure (other)
Under that you have to type the server address, account name, password. Then theres a checkbox to show vpn status and menu bar (deafult checked) Then theres a connect button.

Can anyone help me configure this card and get it working with my router? Any instruction or steps on everything would be great. Especially with the username and vpn. Does vpn have to be installed and what does it do? do I just make an account name up? btw the router is a lynksys 802.11b

More details...

The router is connected to the main pc, and the net works fine off the router b/c I put the network cable in the router instead of the card installed on the pc.

It's setup as 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway is the one that my internet was using, some weird number.
The MAC pc which isn't working is setup as 192.169.1.3, 255.255.2550 and gateway as 192.168.1.1.

DHCP is not installed, static was chosen.

The setup CD that came with it loads, but I can't access any files in it. Is it possible to install pc drivers in a mac os-x?

Anyway, sorry about the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated b/c im new to the mac world

Thanks everyone
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I am not sure where you heard that the WUSB11 would work because there is no linksys support or drivers that would work with OS X....the only apple wireless equipment that works is apples and d-link makes some (netgear might i dont remember)

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I believe that you can get the linksys to work. Only you will not get any help from the linksys company. I don't have a wireless card, So I can not help you there. I have a wired linksys router which works find.

You will have to read the directions and interpret for Mac OS X. I don't think there is anything special about network hardware. You should be abke to use any vendors. It is just thats some are eaiser to setup than others.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

The eMac USB ports are all 1's -- 12Mg/sec not 2's 480mgs/sec. Wireless on the eMac needs to be connected to one of the firewires - 400Mgs/sec ports, using Apple's airport wireless.
QUOTE Thanks
ddzc

thanks guys..

We'll I know someone that gets parts directly from the wholesaler and he said that it works fine. I also read on the Linksys FAQ's and it says that the card is compatible with macs. I also looked for drivers and I can't find anything. So if it says it's compatible, then where can I get the drivers from? I can't use pc drivers. Im so confused!

For the emacs, there's a built in ethernet adapter in the back. I heard I can hook up a WET11 wireless bridge to it and perform internet access and LAN capabilites b/c it doesen't require drivers to operate. Is this true? should I do it?

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

There sure is an ethernet port, actually that sounds like it will work... have you googled it?
QUOTE Thanks
ddzc

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
There sure is an ethernet port, actually that sounds like it will work... have you googled it?
sorry, what exactly do you mean googled it?

Im still confused on why it says that the card is compatible with macs when theirs no drivers available for them.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Answers are often found here it's actually amazing...
QUOTE Thanks
ddzc

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Answers are often found here it's actually amazing...
thank. I already checked google and nothing fits my description so I though people from apple forums have probably installed the same setup as me so I made a post about it.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddzc
sorry, what exactly do you mean googled it?
Nice reply. All I did was answer this question. How could you not know the answer to this if you had already tried it? I won't be posting to your questions anymore
:rolleyes:
QUOTE Thanks
ddzc

I''ve never been asked if I googled it before.
I don't need replies from u anyway if ur going to tell me to google it, how dumb and useless is that.

BTW I was asking if a bridge can be used to hookup a LAN, which I never tried before but "heard" that it works which I wanted more feeback on. B/c as you can see, the advice told to me about getting this garbage usb thing isn't working out for me when it should be according to Linksys's website.
Anyway, I have no other alternative to returning this junk, seems like there's no way on getting this thing installed.
Im probably going to get a dlink or netgear, or better off an airport card.

Thx for the help..
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

what the language ddzc

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time to try Macs | Apple mice »