New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

What format to give an external Hard Drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Justin

Justin is an unknown at this point

I just got a 500 GB Samsung spinpoint hard drive to use as an external storage devise. It seems the first thing I must do is format it. What is the best format to choose? Also, it seems it could be good if all computers can read the hard disk in case I need to share files. So is there a good format that Windows can also read? If I choose one that Windows machines can also read, is there any disadvantage to the format I would use for Mac only?
Any other tips also welcome!
Thank you very much.
Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
Ricky B

Ricky B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...

The best one to go for is FAT 32. This way, all machines can read and write to it. The down side being file sizes are limited to 4 and a bit GB, so huge high def movies are out. Someone else may be better equipt to tell you, but I think Tiger can now read and write to NTFS drives, but don't take my word for that.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

No, Tiger can't write to NTFS. It can read from it, however.

If you're using it for Mac only, do Mac OS Extended Journaled.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Peakoverload

Peakoverload has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.

Tiger can read NTFS but it can't write to it. If you really need to regularly share your drive between a Mac and a PC than you only have two choices.

1. Format the drive as FAT32 and live with the file size limit
2. Format the drive as HFS+ and buy a program like MacOpener for your PC which then allows you to read and write to HFS formatted drives
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

HFS+ is the best. If you are going to be using it with PCs get MacDrive.

QUOTE Thanks
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamindaines View Post
HFS+ is the best. If you are going to be using it with PCs get MacDrive.
What is the advantage of HFS+?
And, wen I open the drive with disc utility, I do not see a "format" option, but do see an "erase" option. Under that it looks like I can choose a format ("volume format" dropdown menu) but they are all "Mac OS extended" etc, I cannot see FAT 32. So how do I format in FAT32 (or HFS+)?

And for example if I wanted to use FAT32 and a little of it for HFS+, do i need to partition the drive now, or can I make it all FAT32, use it for a while, and while there is still a lot of space left, make a new partition?

Thank very much!
Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

To format it, yes, you need to erase it first, and select your format there. Fat32 is listed as MS-DOS in the format list.

You need to make all the partitions now, otherwise you will have to erase, and reformat it later, unless you buy one something like Partition Magic, I think it is.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
What is the advantage of HFS+?
And, wen I open the drive with disc utility, I do not see a "format" option, but do see an "erase" option. Under that it looks like I can choose a format ("volume format" dropdown menu) but they are all "Mac OS extended" etc, I cannot see FAT 32. So how do I format in FAT32 (or HFS+)?

And for example if I wanted to use FAT32 and a little of it for HFS+, do i need to partition the drive now, or can I make it all FAT32, use it for a while, and while there is still a lot of space left, make a new partition?

Thank very much!
Justin
The erase method you have found is the correct way. HFS+ is the Mac OS extended option (use journaled).

To get he FAT-32 option you must select the drive (not the partition):

Then it will show up from the pull down as MS-DOS:

And yes you can have different filesystems on separate partitions.

QUOTE Thanks
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamindaines View Post
The erase method you have found is the correct way. HFS+ is the Mac OS extended option (use journaled).

To get he FAT-32 option you must select the drive (not the partition):

Then it will show up from the pull down as MS-DOS:

And yes you can have different filesystems on separate partitions.
Thank you all! Working good now.
Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

If you are planning to share an HFS+ volume with Windows, you will need a commercial package like MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/) to access it from Windows.

As an alternate, you can format the drive using ext2, the workhorse Linux file format. It is supported by both Mac and Windows. The Mac support is at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx

The Windows support is available at:

http://www.fs-driver.org/

ext2 is a good idea for a Mac because it fully supports the concept of file ownership and permisssions just like HFS+. So this makes it superior to FAT32. ext2 also has the benefit of being open source freeware.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
ext2 is a good idea for a Mac because it fully supports the concept of file ownership and permisssions just like HFS+. So this makes it superior to FAT32. ext2 also has the benefit of being open source freeware.
What advantage does HFS+ have? (I mean, why would I want to chose it, as it is less compatible. That is a minus. What is the plus?)
Thanks
Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

Personally I'd have a 32GB FAT32 partition for sharing with windows and have the rest as HFS+.

That way, if anything needs to be accessed in windows, copy and paste to the FAT32 partition.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Justin, the BIG advantage of most of the *nix file systems (and that includes HFS+ and ext2) is that they support the idea of file ownership and access permissions. This is a really key part of keeping your Mac safe from trojans, virus' etc.

In general, your account is only the owner of the files in your home directory. All the rest are owned by a special user called root. By and large, you have full read/write access to the files you own. In general you only have read access to the files owned by root.

Now, lets say some horrible virus gets loose on your system because you mistakenly clicked a link or ran an executable or... whatever. When it tries to have its way with ANY of the Mac OS X system files, it will fail, because it is running under your userid and your userid does not have permission to write to files owned by root.

While not perfect (really clever people can find ways around this) this provides a wonderful first level of protection for your Mac's system files from your everyday garden variety virus.

SO, you *want* a file system that supports this idea. FAT32 does not, so if at all possible, don't use it. HFS+ and ext2 *do* support this idea, so if you can, use them.

One last point. There are plenty of open source software products, like Thunderbird for example, which extensively leverage file ownership permissions to keep everything running smoothly. Change the permissions, or get them lost by transferring key files through a FAT32 partition, and suddenly things start to misbehave. Again, a file system that supports file ownership and permissions eliminates this as an issue.

Hope this helps!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Excellent point, dude!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport w/USB Drive vs. Network Hard Drive | emac external monitor »