New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Shared External Hard Drive - XP/OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Darker Times

Darker Times is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i5 - 24" iMac c2d - Mac Mini c2d - iPad 2 - iPhone 4 - tv 3

Hi All

"Five weeks with my iMac and loving it"

I have a Toshiba ext hard drive that I used to use on my windows computer for storing video files while editing. I have this connected to my iMac at the moment but can only read from this....which I understand why.
I would like to use this drive as my itunes library as I have a lot of CD's and don't want to use up the iMacs drive with MP3's. Thing is, I still wish to use this drive when I boot up in windows, to use my video editor.
As I cannot yet afford final cut, I still need to use my Magix Pro 10 editor which is windows only programme, so I need some way of sharing this drive with both OS.

Is this possible, and can someone tell me how to go about this.

As soon as I get Final Cut, I will dump the windows install and be solely OSX, as I only use XP for this one programme.

I have not missed windows one bit, which was one of my main fears of changing to Apple.......so for anyone else out there who is still debating whether to change or not....Just Do It.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

The drive is formatted to NTFS. It needs to be in FAT32 in order for XP and OS X to read/write from the drive.

To do this, you'll have to dump all of it's contents onto one of the computers to back it up, open Disk Utility (apps/utilities) and select the drive. Click the "Erase" button and choose "MSDOS" as the schema before you erase the drive.

After it erases, drag and drop the files back onto it, then it should work with both OS's.

FAT32 doesn't allow single files over 4GB, however, so be careful that you're adhering to this limitation before you do this.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

There are two other options you may wish to consider:

1/ Format the drive as HFS+ (the Mac standard format) and then buy MacDrive, a piece of Windows shareware that allows Windows to seamlessly support HFS+. This gives you the best of both worlds, albiet at a small fee.

2/ Format the drive in a format that both share. FAT32 is the easiest choice, but it does not support files larger than 4GB *and* it does not support the Mac/unix/Linux concept of file ownership and permissions. A common file system to both is Linux's stalwart ext2, which fully supports file ownership and permissions. Neither Windows nor Mac OS X supports ext2 "out of the box", but freeware support is available for both.

For Windows, see: http://www.fs-driver.org

For Mac, see: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx

I have used the Windows support and can vouch for it. I have not yet used the Mac support, but have read good things about it.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Darker Times

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i5 - 24" iMac c2d - Mac Mini c2d - iPad 2 - iPhone 4 - tv 3

Thanks surfwax95 for the advice.

The 4Gb limit is going to be too restrictive for video, as one mini dv cassette holds 13GB of AVI per 1 hour of film. I need to work with AVI in the first instance to preserve quality.

Thanks for the advice though..at least i now know what I can & cannot do.

Philip
QUOTE Thanks
Darker Times

Thanks mac57.

Formatting the drive as HFS+ seems the best route for me. Thanks also for the links.

Philip
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

You could always partition the drive into the different file systems/formats too

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks
Darker Times

Kyomii...Thanks for that.
Having never partitioned a drive before, how would I do that? Its a 320g drive so I could split it half & half.

Cheers

Philip
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darker Times View Post
Kyomii...Thanks for that.
Having never partitioned a drive before, how would I do that? Its a 320g drive so I could split it half & half.

Cheers

Philip
Hi Philip, looking around on the net, if you want HFS+ along with NTFS/FAT32 it doesn't appear to be an easy solution. Normally you would make your paritions and format as per se, but there seems to be some problems with formating in different file systems.

Maybe if there is someone on here who has done it, they can advise you - otherwise I would suggest staying with your original intentions

Sorry about that.

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't print Sony-camera pics on my Canon printer | emac g4 - dvdrom »