New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Time to try Macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

redfox

Hey all

I've always been interested in gettin a Mac, and as of late, have really been wanting to scratch that itch.
Unfortunately, looking throught lots of stores and eBay, i've discovered they're not all too cheap, especially for a 16 year old who is lacking a job at the time :/
So, I'm comin to yall, to get yall's suggestions.

I'm lookin for a decent mac $300 and under, that can run OS X halfway decent (that someone would wanna use :]), and will give me a good example of what a Mac can do and why I should stick with em.
What should I look for, where should I look, or am I just out of my mind?

thanks guys, and even if i can't find nuttin, thanks
ben
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

If you have a monitor already...try and find a G4 tower (it'll probably be 550mHz max, but faster-or dual-would be better). Look for at LEAST 256mb RAM and 20GB HD. Obviously, more RAM and HD space would be better if you can afford it.

If you don't have a monitor, you'll probably have to go with a G3 (tower, or iMac). They work well, but OS X and a lot of Mac Apps defintely work better w/ G4's. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

The more RAM the better... you can make a computer loaded with RAM seem alot faster than it is.
QUOTE Thanks
redfox

Where should i look to buy one at the price i'm lookin at?

thanks guys,
ben
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Check classifieds/local sellers, CraigsList, OWC, MacPro, eBay...there are a bunch of other places online.
QUOTE Thanks
adam80

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox
Where should i look to buy one at the price i'm lookin at?

thanks guys,
ben
eBay is really the only place.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iLife 4 on a Emac 700 with a Superdrive ???? | Hooking up an emac to a linksys router »