New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Apple TV vs Mac mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

candy

candy is on a distinguished road

What would be the better way to get my iTunes content over to the big screen, Mac Mini or Apple TV?

Here’s a handy table comparing the two products (information on the Apple TV was found at Ars Technica citing AppleInsider).
Apple TV :
Price: $299
Audio Output : HDMI, optical audio, analog RCA stereo audio
Hard Drive: 40GB
CD/DVD: None
Processor: 1.0GHz Pentium underclocked on a 350MHz bus
RAM: 256MB of 400MHz DDR2
Software (selected): Apple TV interface (modified Front Row)
Video RAM : nVidia G72M with 64MB DDR2 Video Memory
Wireless Features: 802.11b, g, n
Weight: 2.4lbs
Video Output: HDMI, component video

Mac mini:
Price: $599
Audio Output: Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out
Hard Drive: 60GB
CD/DVD: Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Processor: 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
RAM:512MB (Video RAM shares this RAM)
Software (selected): Mac OS X, iLife, Front Row
Video RAM: Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
Wireless Features: 802.11b, g and Bluetooth 2.0
Weight: 2.9lbs
Video Output: DVI, VGA with included adapter, S-Video and composite video with optional adapter

I am sure there are more considerations to ponder in making your decision, but if you get lost or confused just ask yourself, “What do I want to do with this thing?” Once you know the use of the product, you may have a clearer idea of what to chose.

Well, what should you get?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Your best bet is to wait until the AppleTV comes out and people have had a chance to mess with it and tell us what it does good and bad. Making a decision based on an unknown quanity is a foolish decision.

QUOTE Thanks
Jchavoush

Jchavoush is on a distinguished road

Mac mini
QUOTE Thanks
mikeyman

mikeyman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone

well, the mac mini is also a computer / mac at the same time where as the apple tv isnt
however the price difference between them is quite noticeable... double if i may add
also take note that mac mini doesnt support wireless 'n' whereas apple tv does
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

mac mini bcoz of the optical drive.

I can do away with my dvd player.

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
unplugged

unplugged will become famous soon enough

mac mini (optical audio and DVI video), plus its a computer with DVD drive!

Hook it up to a receiver, and you can upconvert it to HDMI

MacBook Pro - 2.33Ghz, 2GB, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4.10
http://web.mac.com/mhadjar/
QUOTE Thanks
jamiemoffett

jamiemoffett is on a distinguished road

It seems like a "Yes and" answer to me. Connect the Apple TV to your network and television, connect the Mac Mini to the network and thus the Apple TV. Fill up a massive Hard Drive with whatever media you want & connect to the Mini. Use the optical drive massive Hard Drive connected to the Mini through to the TV using Apple TV. Any friends can come over and share directly to Apple TV or dump to the massive Hard Drive on the Mac Mini. Wireless keyboard & mouse makes this a lazy geek's dream come true.
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
well, the mac mini is also a computer / mac at the same time where as the apple tv isnt
however the price difference between them is quite noticeable... double if i may add
also take note that mac mini doesnt support wireless 'n' whereas apple tv does

I am not sure if the core duo Mac Mini supports wireless n but, wireless n is only really beneficial for file transfer - also, it is only going to work if all devices connected to the router are n capable.

As soon as a lower speed device (such as g) is connected to the same router, the overall speed gets reduced because its running in a multi speed environment.

So, if you already have any computers that are below n, the n factor should not be an issue at all.

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

unless of course you just create a network between two macs, then the router doesnt matter

this is my plan with a new mini, hopefeully they get N. ill just leave it on its own network, and when i turn my MBP on in the other room connect to it if i wanna transfer files.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Chrisblaze

Chrisblaze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5ghz MBP 2gb ram, 200gb 7200rmp hd, 512mb 8600gt

sorry to dig up an old thread, but Im torn between the too also.

Im using a 61' 1080p tv and would like to know if a mac mini or a apple tv will be the best route.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

You can't rent HD movies through iTunes on a Mac. It only works on a Apple TV from what I was told.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
MacGuy18

MacGuy18 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 2.0Ghz 1GB || MBP 2.0GhzCDuo 2GB || TV || iPhone || Airport Extreme

I'm pretty sure you can rent a movie on your mac. I just opened itunes and tried to rent Mr. Brooks and everything went fine, but I didn't finish as I've seen the movie already.

1. I'm not certain Mac Mini's will support a television that large, whereas the TV will.

2. It all depends what you are wanting to do with your media device. If you are just wanting to get your itunes content to you tele then no better and simpler way that the TV. But if you are wanting to edit documents, surf the web, check email, etc. then it might be wise to get a mac mini. Oh yeah, the price of the TV's just went down too.

Good Luck with your decision.

--
MacGuy18
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

The mini will support a 1080p TV just fine. You will be able to rent movies and such on the mini, just not HD content. Front Row with Leopard supports a lot of formats if you have the codec. AppleTV doesn't from my knowledge.

QUOTE Thanks
Chrisblaze

Chrisblaze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5ghz MBP 2gb ram, 200gb 7200rmp hd, 512mb 8600gt

I know before the update, the specs on the Apple TV read it supported 720p, now with the new update, does it actually push out 1080p? If so then Im sold!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

Still 720p.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Mac MDD motherboard in a Mystic case | Newbie: Need help on printing to XP shared printer »