New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Driver for multi card reader

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cryssie

Cryssie is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I'm looking for a driver for a multi memory card reader. The brand is "Officetek", and I got it from eBay. On the box it said it was Mac compatible, but lo and behold - no dice.

Any suggestions for a driver? I have 350 photos to upload from a card and no way in **** to do it at the moment. All suggestions very very welcome!

Cryssie
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

A media card reader doesn't need any driver. Just plug it in and the media card you slip in should appear on the desktop. It is seen as an external/removable disk. The reader will not be visible if it doesn't contain any card.

Maybe something is defective with the device?

Edited to add:

It is USB, right?
QUOTE Thanks
Cryssie

Tried that and doesn't show up on the desktop, and yes, it has a card in it. It is USB. I'm sick of PC things!

More suggestions?

(I should mention this: there is a green LED that should light up with operation. This has never lit up. My USB port is recognising that the device is plugged into a USB port, but will not recognise it on the desktop).
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

This is a long shot, ok? But worth a try IMO.

Leave your media card in the reader and restart to see if this wouldn't force the mounting of the device on the desktop.

If this doesn't work... I'm fresh outta ideas. :blind:
QUOTE Thanks
Cryssie

Didn't work. Thanks though :-)

Trying Versiontracker, but that's not helping much either. Anyone else got another suggestion?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Did you try another card in it just to make sure it isn't the card that's bad?

If not, well to me the only solution is: buy another media card reader. New this time.

Maybe another member has another idea, though. But for sure, a media card reader does NOT need a driver.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Where are you plugging in the card reader? If you are using one of the USB ports on a keyboard, it most likely won't work. Make sure it is plugged into the back of the computer, into a powered USB port.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Cryssie

I bought it new off eBay, it's not second hand. It was sealed in a box with all the CD drivers and cables. It is plugged into my computer, not a keyboard. It came with a note which accompanied the discs which said something about downloading an update from the Mac website (???) I tried and there was nothing. The outside of the box says MacOS 8/9/10.1.2

I am running on 10.2.8 - could this be the problem?

I've tried 3 different cards in it, all of which won't work. Is there a program that will force-mount a volume? Restart doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

No, that shouldn't be a problem. Hmm, so far not a big fan of this Officetek company. Their website won't let you see their products, unless you are a member, and to become a member, you have to fill out a credit application.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ahh! Jaguar was very finicky about mounting volumes, as I recall. That might not help too much this situation either.

This flaw wasn't fixed fully till the last versions of Panther, like around 10.3.7 or something.

And yeah Stretch, I hate those kind of sites where you have to create user accounts just to get what is rightfully yours: essential updates (fixing bugs) on software you bought. Thankfully, not too many of those around. Yet.

Maybe you could try this: Mounty - 1.1.1: the year of the software creation sounds good for Jaguar so it might work.

If not. like I said, try another media card reader. But of course, if the problem lies with Jaguar, that might not change much though...
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

bestbuy's got a new sandisk model for like 13 bucks. works like a champ on my macbook.

might be worth checking into this one and just eating the difference on the bad one.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« TVmini from Miglia | Digital Camera recommendations »