New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Bought a Dell 22" monitor, big mistake!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I've had a Samsung 19" 191T for 4 years and didn't know how good it is. The Dell I got is their budget model (not the ultrasharp series, which is better), but I thought a budget model today would at least be as good as a high-end model 4 years ago.

Nope. I immediately noticed the colors just weren't right, no matter how much I messed with them. The screen has an almost kind of washed out look and is a bit irritating to my eyes. There's some bad bleedthrough at the top and bottom that's pretty noticable when looking at dark screens or dark scenes in movies. I watched Matrix Revolutions switching between the new Dell and the old Samsung and the Samsung beats it hands down.

Just another "you get what you pay for" situation I guess. I bought it despite negative opinions based on my thought that new must beat 4 years old anything. Now that I've had a new monitor, I suppose I'll just go ahead and exchange this and pony up the extra cash for the Ultrasharp model. I've read several reviews comparing them with the Cinema Displays and have seen very little evidence of any appreciable differences.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I hated my Samsung 191T, ghosted like crazy. What model is the Dell 22in?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have an older Samsung 213T and it has always been... well, OK. That is about the best I can say for it. These days I have a Viewsonic VP2130b and I can honestly say it is the best monitor I have ever driven. This is no surprise though when you look at the specs for it and compare them to just about anything else out there on the market. It is one fine machine.

I would recommend Viewsonic's VP ("Pro") line strongly. My wife has another member of this family, the 17" one, and the image quality is equally as good as my 21". The VP line is outstanding.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
I would recommend Viewsonic's VP ("Pro") line strongly.
Ouch, $1,200 for the 23"! I'd just go for the Cinema display at that price. I want quality, but that's quite beyond my price range. I think I'll give the Dell Ultrasharp displays a try.

I did some research and found that there are differences in screen beyond the given specs, like 6-bit and 8-bit displays. I think 6-bit are the budget models and 8-bit are higher end. Anyone have some good knowledge on this they can pass along?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

The 21" model is quite a bit less though. At Monitor Outlet:

http://www.monitor-outlet.com/

You can get the VP2130b, the 21" model, for $678. It is a stunning monitor.

However, if you are looking for larger dimensions than 21", I agree. The next step up, to 23", is more than 2x. That is more than just a bit too expensive!!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
pgunter

pgunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 Dual 2ghz 4GB Dual 500GB Sata

Just a thought, if you want more space on your screen, why not go for a 19" and a 17" dual screen setup :-) I use 2 19" and find it better than my old Sony W900 23" CRT. It will work out cheaper than a larger TFT as well.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Unfortunately budget displays today, still are just that. All LCD's have dropped dratically in price the last few years though. The Dell ultrasharp line is very good. Their 24" is under $700 right now also. Viewsonic also makes some very nice displays. For the most part, you still get what you pay for with monitors.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
???

??? is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I thought a budget model today would at least be as good as a high-end model 4 years ago.
I think that is a fair though really.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« admin rights/permissions help required | my MM review »