New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Looking for good external hard drive/enclosure?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I am going to be purchasing two external hard drives and want usb2.0 as well as firewire 400/800 and I want something compact. One of these will be used with my laptop and I want something compact that I can take on the go with me on my laptop case. The other will be used for hard drive backups and I want it small so it can fit inside a fireproof safe.
So far what I'm most interested in is the Lacie Rugged All Terrain drives, specifically their 120gb or newer 160gb drive. What are opinions of this?
Since I'm buying two I"m looking for the best deals I can find. Is it cheaper if I buy a good drive and then a good firewire 400/800 usb2.0 enclosure? Will this save a lot of money and if I go this route what is a good drive to go with as well as a good enclosure? It's important to have these features but be compact as well as rugged.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

I have been looking at these options also recently. External drives with USB2 and both Firewire 400 and 800 tend to be expensive. Another thing that I find to be very common is that the enclosures by themselves are usually of very low quality. Buying the drive and the enclosure can often be more expensive than buying a pre-boxed external hard drive.

LaCie makes a very good product (as long as you stay away from the Porsche piece of junk), but you pay premium for it. I really like the looks of the Western Digital MyBooks, which have what you want. The prices are good, the build quality is good, and they look awesome.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
Evermore

Evermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive

ok i am a nub with this stuff, i am looking at the external hard drives and its either one of these two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136022

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822154161

but will the mybook one work with a mac? like is it in the right format, plus i was thinking the lacie becuase i hear they are super good and it has firewire800 and bigger space, but it costs alot more.

Evasive-Media Group
[ MBP ] 15.4" - 2.16ghz C2D - 2gb RAM - 120gb HD [ MBP ]
Evermore
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Since I like quiet drives, I tend to like Coolmax cases.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with copyin large sized folders... File sizes changed after copying... | Can a faulty DVI shut down the computer? »