New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

g5 xserve shipping?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nearmyth

Does anyone know if these are shipping? i have had a few ordered now through my vendor since they started taking orders and the ship dates have been moving back further and further.

My company has been so satisfied with the g4 sxerve we got i recvd approval for two more. These have since rendered our linux boxes obsoloete due the the fact that you can administer, repair and fix os x server a skillion times faster, easier and more confidently that we could on linux and all file sharing acroos platforms has become a dream. Only think i need help with is getting a cross platform print server working properly on it - Im having a tough time with that and if i was ever gonna beat apple up it would be for providng the worst server documentation i have ever seen, lol. wow i ranted away on a ship date topic - sorry about that.

thanks
+-)
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

was told 2 weeks... and i'm in hong kong, china.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Woot!!! Xserve G5 has landed, well... at-least in my home... but now i got a little problem with the optical drive, i've inserted the system disk, after installing everything and a restart, it won't eject. Anyone one know how to 'manually' eject it? or is that another trip to the apple dealer? :-(
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Maybe this helps
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

Thanks. I did it another way. Restart the server, Press and Hold the Eject Key or F12... sometimes you need to do it twice before the disk pops out.

Managed to persuade my local dealer to exchange the faulty unit for a new one... now i'm just waiting for them to get more stock of G5 Servers... in the mean time i'll play with this one. hehe...
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Any special plans for it on line seeing as it's a server?
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

run my domain... without impolite ISP's demanding the removal of certain items of the ftp site.. they are so annoying.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

I see! I hear that!
QUOTE Thanks
nearmyth

I finally got mine in the last week of april. Luck has since then bestowed on me and I know manage 4 xservers in house with a few dell servers.

Using the macs as primary domain controller with web based admin pages for the dell sql servers - thus saving my company over 20k in MS licensing fees, etc for windows 2k server and sql seats.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

What's "MS licensing fees"?
QUOTE Thanks
ikoul

I imagine they have to pay licensing fees for each copy of Win2k server os.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

RIPP OFF!

What? You spend money on a Quality PC and then they charge you extra for the OS? I'd rather meet with some street vender, imagine all the doe i could save! You could by a G5! And the OS comes in the Box!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting To TV | Help me for my decision. »