New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

23 Cinema Display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

atechoz

atechoz is on a distinguished road

I've got a 23'inch sitting at home, pretty close to a window which makes it cold - now I don't know if that affects the problem, because since I never had the power adapter for almost 2 weeks and then I just got it today and tested it, nothing is showing up - shows that its on from the "led" but no pictures. Is it because it's been damage by the cold or I just to let it heat it up? HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

I have 3 questions.

1. Is it on?
2. What is it hooked up to?
3. Did it just go out, or is the first time you have tried it?

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I have 3 questions.

1. Is it on?
2. What is it hooked up to?
3. Did it just go out, or is the first time you have tried it?
All important questions.

When you say cold, how cold?

If this is a mac laptop, did your try the fn+F7 key?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

A few more questions that may help:
1/ Has this monitor worked before, or is it a new monitor (at least to you) that you have not previously had working?
2/ Do you know that the cable between it and your Mac is in good condition?
3/ Can you test the monitor against another computer and/or another cable?
4/ Finally, is your Mac driving the monitor at the correct native resolution and no more than 60 Hz (you can check this from the displays preference panel)?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
atechoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
A few more questions that may help:
1/ Has this monitor worked before, or is it a new monitor (at least to you) that you have not previously had working?
2/ Do you know that the cable between it and your Mac is in good condition?
3/ Can you test the monitor against another computer and/or another cable?
4/ Finally, is your Mac driving the monitor at the correct native resolution and no more than 60 Hz (you can check this from the displays preference panel)?

1- its new
2- yup
3- nope
4- i dont have a mac, i have a pc - im trying to connect it
QUOTE Thanks
atechoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
All important questions.

When you say cold, how cold?

If this is a mac laptop, did your try the fn+F7 key?
its pretty close to the window, an open window last week or before that so its pretty cold
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I dont think you can freeze a display, but it is liquid, so I would warm it up and try it in another location.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
CarBern

CarBern is on a distinguished road

Storage temperature as stated by Apple can be as low as -40 deg C.

Does your PC has an appropriate video card with a DVI port?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

Given that it is a PC, I would re-ask my question about refresh rate and native resolution. Do you know that you are driving the monitor within its specs? I know that PCs generally don't default to settings like this.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
sundragon

sundragon is on a distinguished road

I have a 23" apple cinema display. I often have the same issue where the power light on the monitor is on, but the screen is black ( many times the fans on the g5 will kick in and stay blowing quite strong. I've experienced it intermittently but regularly since I purchased my monitor 3 years ago along with the my G5. Sometimes I have to restart the computer a dozen times before the monitor will come "on". Today, I haven't been able to get it on at all yet. Apple recently replaced the power supply on the monitor and that did not solve the problem. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the video card or if it could be temperature related as it does get pretty cold at night in my shop. I googled apple cinema display cold temperature and it brought up this thread so I thought I'd post my 2 cents. I hope some monitor experts will speak up. It does seem to be more problematic in colder seasons I believe unless I'm imagining things.
QUOTE Thanks
atechoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
I have a 23" apple cinema display. I often have the same issue where the power light on the monitor is on, but the screen is black ( many times the fans on the g5 will kick in and stay blowing quite strong. I've experienced it intermittently but regularly since I purchased my monitor 3 years ago along with the my G5. Sometimes I have to restart the computer a dozen times before the monitor will come "on". Today, I haven't been able to get it on at all yet. Apple recently replaced the power supply on the monitor and that did not solve the problem. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the video card or if it could be temperature related as it does get pretty cold at night in my shop. I googled apple cinema display cold temperature and it brought up this thread so I thought I'd post my 2 cents. I hope some monitor experts will speak up. It does seem to be more problematic in colder seasons I believe unless I'm imagining things.
that's exactly whats going on, but im using a pc although never tried getting a video card for the pc that supports a dvi for the 23 cinema hd - that will be my last try. hopefully its works, but do you guys think I can return this to apple and replace it?
QUOTE Thanks
CarBern

CarBern is on a distinguished road

Before you purchase a video card, why don't you contact one of the three Apple retail stores in Toronto and see if they can let you bring your monitor and hook up one of the their Mac? Just a suggestion.
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

that is a good idea... u should try that..

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

I have a Viewsonic VP2130b 21" LCD, which sits in my warm comfortable study (so I know that temperature is not an issue). Now and then, it too fails to turn on during restarts, activations from sleep and so on. It is a sporadic problem, and I have worked out a solution that always recovers it, and so I put up with it, since it is such an excellent monitor (clearest, brightest, best image I have ever seen). I have always assumed that Viewsonic had a bit of a compatibility issue with Apple. I am surprised to see this happening with Apple monitors! They ought to work with Apple computers!

In case it may help, here is the solution I use. It works every time, and it is just a matter of timing. Two cases need to be considered:

Cold Power On of the Mac. I start with the Mac and the monitor both fully off. Power on the Mac itself, and wait for the startup chime. Once you hear the chime, power on the monitor main switch and then turn on the front panel power switch. Thats it - it has never failed.

Warm Power On of the Mac. In this case, the Mac has been previously running and I have told it to sleep. I am now "waking it up". The monitor is in standby mode at this point. 90% of the time waking up works as expected and everything comes up, no muss no fuss. When it doesn't, the Mac seems to come up just fine but the display never turns on. In this case, I put the Mac through a restart and apply the "Cold Power Up" recipe from above.

To do this, I use the key combination CTL+CMD+EJECT (EJECT is the CD/DVD tray open/close button) to force an immediate shutdown and restart. When I hear the machine reset to ROM (I can hear the CD/DVD drive make a characteristic noise at this point) I turn off the monitor. Then I wait for the reset chime and turn it back on. This seems to ensure that the monitor comes on every time.

This is a really silly workaround, and I have no idea what the root problem is, but it has saved me from the experience you are having, where you have to restart over and over and over, waiting for that random combination of conditions to be just right, so that the Mac and monitor recognize each other and all is well. This is a one-cycle, never-fails workaround. It is annoying but effective. I hope that it may work for you!

Good luck!

QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

I also have the same problem mac57 has from time to time. It never hapens during sleep though, only cold startups. I have a 20in samsung monitor.

My solution is to hold the power of button until the mac shuts off, then i unplug the power from the power supply for about 5 seconds, they I start it up again. this works alomost every time.

I think it has to do with the way osx manages the graphic cards, because my pc has a 7300gt and it works perfect.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« bluetooth mighty mouse and apple keyboard- can I just leave them on all the time? | Issues with external hard drives: Help Please! »