New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Problem detecting external firewire HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pdobek

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Macs so I apologize if this is a dumb question.

I have an external Maxtor HD (the One Touch firewire version). The HD worked fine for a while and the Mac had no problem with it. However recently the Mac stopped detecting it. I have no idea where to begin resolving this. I know in Windows there is a way to view external devices and it even showed when there were device driver issues. Is there an equivalent? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Paul

PS - I have a 20" Intel iMac, and I've tried installing the latest Maxtor software to no avail.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i'm guessing this topic may be moved to a more appropriate sub-forum...

have you tried connecting the drive before powering up?

can you use usb at all?

does it work on another machine?

last resort may be to pop the drive into another enclosure and see if that works...
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Mod note: thread moved to a better forum.

Have you tried running the disk utility application and see that it sees the disk.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
pdobek

Yes, disk utility doesn't pick up the disk.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to force a crashed HDD to mount? | ichat connection to mini dv camcorder via router (speedtouch 500 series) »