New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External HDD not reading files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Red Snapper

Red Snapper is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video

Hi before I purchased my macbook pro I backed up all my windows files on a Lacie 500 gig external drive. I realize that Macs can read NTFS and Fat32 formatted drives but the problem is my MBP can connect to the drive fine, but the files arent showing up. It shows me that there are 300 odd gigs left of space indicating that my files are there. How can I access these files, looking around the boards and searching for a solution leads me to believe that others with NTFS formatted drives are reading files fine but they are unable to write, I however cant even see my files. What can I do to fix this?
QUOTE Thanks
Red Snapper

Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

When you copy them in windows it doesn't give read/write permission to network users. If you have access to a PC, connect to the external HD and change the network share properties of each folder.
QUOTE Thanks
Red Snapper

Hmm I know what youre saying, but im not quite sure that it appies to my problem. Currently I dont have access to the computer that I copied the files from, since im away at college. I was hoping there would be an alternate solution, seeing how recopying the files on the hd after its been formatted would be the obvious thing to do. I realize I could boot up windows via boot camp and look at my files that way but thats pretty much the last measure I want to take. Any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Opinions/Recommendations for an External DVD burner | Wireless Keyboard Recommendations »