New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

DILEMA - can anyone give me some advise?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

culturaldesign

hi

I am a graphic designer(so regularily use classic, and currently own 2 imacs- one is my old G3 indigo, which has seen me through thick and thin - and the other is the G4 imac.

The newer one was one of the first to come out of the new shape, its a 700 mhz, 128 15" one - and I hateto say it, but i got it for free when i won a competition.

heres my dilema... I have 2 macs, only ever use one, so i really dont need both. The newer one is alot slower than the old at only 128mb, but looks the dogs nuts. However it is so flaming expensive to get the memory to boost it that I am looking into selling both and buying a 1GHZ emac combo.

Do I or don't I?

do i sell the imacs, (as the new one is slow as hell) and buy the emac, and still have money spare..

OR

do I fork out for more memory on what is fast becoming a degraded machine. (esp. with the new 17" and 20" screens!!)

?????????????
QUOTE Thanks
chuckywonkers

My advice is that you buy a dictionary and learn how to spell advice with a C.......Further advice learn to speak in another manner other than that which a graphic designer is proficient in........no one likes a graphic designer after all as they are a type of Nazi who possess an extreme layout fetish............
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yikes chuckywonkers.. chill!

Now culturaldesign.. it's really up to you and what you really want and need! For me.. I want the powerbook.. and I would sell both of your machines and buy a powerbook But since you're a different person you just need to figure out what you want and then figure out which has exactly what you want.. and then go for it!
QUOTE Thanks
culturaldesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckywonkers
My advice is that you buy a dictionary and learn how to spell advice with a C.......Further advice learn to speak in another manner other than that which a graphic designer is proficient in........no one likes a graphic designer after all as they are a type of Nazi who possess an extreme layout fetish............
chuckywonkers - get a life eh?

cheers for the advice muryl (sorry if spelt that wrong!) - Think i'm going to take the dive and get the emac - from what I've seen the emac seems to be able to do everything that I want it to, and has the larger res. screen. (Would love a G4 powerbook too - but my pocket isnt that large yet!!)
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

No worries It's just really hard when people want to know what to buy since everybody has different uses for computers And even us people who know a lot about Macs, sometimes make a purchase and realize that maybe something else would have been better.. it's just the way it goes
QUOTE Thanks
kushwood

Graphic designer, what programs do you use with your Macs? I do lowly community flyers and publications. My old iMac died and I bought an eMac. I didn't do the research, though, and now I understand that PageMaker 6.5 doesn't work well with the eMac. What desktop publishing types of programs DO work well with the eMac's OS10?
QUOTE Thanks
culturaldesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushwood
Graphic designer, what programs do you use with your Macs? I do lowly community flyers and publications. My old iMac died and I bought an eMac. I didn't do the research, though, and now I understand that PageMaker 6.5 doesn't work well with the eMac. What desktop publishing types of programs DO work well with the eMac's OS10?
I use Quark, Freehand or illustrator for desktop publishing.
Quark is the industry standard, and I still use it through classic as I don't have the osx native version 6 yet.

For all around use-ability though I would recommend illustrator, I use version 10 through Osx and its great!

Hope this helps!!
QUOTE Thanks
psychotoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckywonkers
Chucky relax man, we don't do that here!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB 2.0? external drive? | How do I degauss my screen? »