Thread: What OS

What OS
    I have recently acquired a couple of old macs. I was told it is outdated (running version 8.0 with 64 mb ram and small hard drives). I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade these like I would a pc. However, I would not know what I am looking for in the way of software. Any help would be appreciated.

sursuciofla
    Therte is a certain point when you can't update the OS. I am for sure it won't run OS X based off what you said. But it would be helpful if you said the exact model and specs of them if it is possible. A lot of people here could help you who have experience with the older Macs.

Yeah, we cant help you much unless you give us details. (Model number, or at least a picture).
    If its more than seven years old, you probably wont want to run OSX.
    Is it a tower? If so, then yes you can upgrade it like a PC.

pics
    sorry for delayed response.
    I am told they are Power Macintosh 5500/225 PowerPCs with OS8 on them. Here is a pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

sursuciofla
    Maximum memory is 128 MB, meaning two 64 MB sticks in two slots/sockets. 168-pin EDO DRAM DIMMs is what you need. Maybe I can find a place for purchase but don't hold me to it. I am trying to figure out what OS and hdd now so I will post when I figure it out.

Mac OS 9.1 is as high as you can go as far as the OS is concerned.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...pleOS9%2012175

Many other places you can find it at but that's one place.

Hmmm 2GB hdd. I really can't answer on whether you can go bigger because I am not sure. I will ask around people I know and maybe they would be able to tell me.

speed
    will this mac with OS 9 run as well as a pc with xp home on an amd 2.2, 1 gb ram? I am not familiar with mac requirements and wonder if this particular mac is worth messing with. I figured I could use it to learn how to get around the operating system, and then later upgrade to a new one. Anyone know of a good place to find information on this computer or mac os's in general?

Thread Information