New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

What OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

b_iceman

b_iceman is on a distinguished road

I have recently acquired a couple of old macs. I was told it is outdated (running version 8.0 with 64 mb ram and small hard drives). I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade these like I would a pc. However, I would not know what I am looking for in the way of software. Any help would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Therte is a certain point when you can't update the OS. I am for sure it won't run OS X based off what you said. But it would be helpful if you said the exact model and specs of them if it is possible. A lot of people here could help you who have experience with the older Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

Yeah, we cant help you much unless you give us details. (Model number, or at least a picture).
If its more than seven years old, you probably wont want to run OSX.
Is it a tower? If so, then yes you can upgrade it like a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
b_iceman

sorry for delayed response.
I am told they are Power Macintosh 5500/225 PowerPCs with OS8 on them. Here is a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0166.JPG (277.2 KB, 16 views)
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Maximum memory is 128 MB, meaning two 64 MB sticks in two slots/sockets. 168-pin EDO DRAM DIMMs is what you need. Maybe I can find a place for purchase but don't hold me to it. I am trying to figure out what OS and hdd now so I will post when I figure it out.

Mac OS 9.1 is as high as you can go as far as the OS is concerned.
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...pleOS9%2012175

Many other places you can find it at but that's one place.

Hmmm 2GB hdd. I really can't answer on whether you can go bigger because I am not sure. I will ask around people I know and maybe they would be able to tell me.
QUOTE Thanks
b_iceman

will this mac with OS 9 run as well as a pc with xp home on an amd 2.2, 1 gb ram? I am not familiar with mac requirements and wonder if this particular mac is worth messing with. I figured I could use it to learn how to get around the operating system, and then later upgrade to a new one. Anyone know of a good place to find information on this computer or mac os's in general?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Logitech MX610 with USB Overdrive | Epson printers »