New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

General Hardware question (cameras, scanners...)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Silverfroth

Silverfroth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini Mac

Ok - for any and all bits of external hardware - when purchasing, if it doesn't say the OS requirements is it safe ot presume that it'll work with everything?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

No! It is safe to assume it will work with Windows and that is all. If it doesn't say Mac OS X, don't presume it is supported. In general however, if you stick with big name brands, Mac OS X will be supported every time. For example, for printers and scanners, you can't go wrong with Epson or Canon, and they both support Mac OS X. Ditto for Canon cameras.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Silverfroth

Silverfroth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini Mac

Ok, Thank you

I was at Target, today, looking at various items and I was frustrated because none of them identified their system requirements.

And speaking of being there - I couldn't pull any of their items off of the rungs to look at them. The prepackaged things that were out and hanging up were all locked down - leaving me to twist like a prezle to read all the packaging. I gave up caring and I thought itd be quicker to order things online.

I've started to take to checking everything against Made4Mac and such resources because - before I bought my mac - I checked some things of mine to see if they were compatible by refering to the original packaging. If it said it was compatible I thought I was good to go - but after buying the computer and attempting to use such items I found that they were, in fact, not supported (classic vs 10.4, etc) - or, only partially supported.
QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Correction here! You CAN go wrong with Canon very easily!

I had a Canon D646U scanner and it's the only piece of hardware I've had to totally ditch since moving to the iMac as there is NO driver support from Apple or Canon and no plans to implement it.

Oh yes, and my Canon S300 inkjet printer also caused problems with sleep mode but it's now working fine since I printed a document on it...

Assume nothing, it'll save you returning items later
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Thanks Jem and I stand corrected. *I* have never had trouble with Canon or Epson - that is what I should have said!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem
Correction here! You CAN go wrong with Canon very easily!

I had a Canon D646U scanner and it's the only piece of hardware I've had to totally ditch since moving to the iMac as there is NO driver support from Apple or Canon and no plans to implement it.

Oh yes, and my Canon S300 inkjet printer also caused problems with sleep mode but it's now working fine since I printed a document on it...

Assume nothing, it'll save you returning items later
VueScan should do the trick. No need to trash your scanner.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Jem

Jem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
VueScan should do the trick. No need to trash your scanner.
Thanks for that link, I'll give it a go, but according to vuescan's compatibility list the D646U is not mentioned at all.

To be honest, at $49.95 (or $89.85 for the pro version!) it's nearly as expensive as replacing the entire scanner so I'm not sure if I want to find it works or not!!!

OUCH!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well, there are certain devices I'd describe as "no-brainers" that you can safely assume will work in most cases.

Things such as card readers, external harddrives, flash drives, cameras etc. will usually just work.

Most larger brand printers will work as well, the exception being all-in-one devices that might require additional drivers.

Network gear can usually be configured via a web page, so that's normally no problem, but it helps to check that first.

For other devices check the manufacturers website.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem
Thanks for that link, I'll give it a go, but according to vuescan's compatibility list the D646U is not mentioned at all.

To be honest, at $49.95 (or $89.85 for the pro version!) it's nearly as expensive as replacing the entire scanner so I'm not sure if I want to find it works or not!!!

OUCH!
You can download a trial version first to see if it works. If it doesn't, then there is no harm, no foul. It's worth a shot even if the particular model you have isn't listed.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Change open office files to word | problems with 30 inch cinema display help! »