New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

iBook G4 sound level goes down/up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Grippy

I have a G4 iBook I purchased in August 05. While watching DVDs (with DVD Player) using external speakers plugged into the headphone jack, I've noticed that every so often, the sound level decreases, then goes back to normal. I started using USB speakers and noticed the same thing.

Is this maybe an issue with DVD Player? I normally keep sound levels below max, but it seems like maybe it's clipping (there's a scene in "Jarhead" where everybody yells and the sound drops).

I haven't noticed this problem with iTunes or VLC or anything else with sound. Any ideas/solutions?
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

try using another dvd program
QUOTE Thanks
Grippy

Wow. I'm so glad I took the trouble to register and post my question. That was really helpful.

So now that the resident smartass has had his say, would anyone else like to actually, you know, help?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I remember on my iBook, the levels would get messed up every so often...

The volume on one channel would drop a fraction... i think mostly the left channel. Check the volume settings under the audio/midi setup utility to see if the value is equal.

If this is a real issue, consider getting an external audio output like griffin's iMic.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You know, that sounds like it's hitting a VERY loud level and some kind of Limiting is backing it down to prevent clipping. I have the same iBook you do but have not done that much DVD watching with it. I have not noticed any level changes, but have not tried a movie with something really loud going on. Will give that a try and see if I notice anything.
QUOTE Thanks
Grippy

It happened again tonight several times during "Silent Hill," so I used VLC instead of DVD Player. The clipping/level reduction didn't occur.

Looks like the smartass's advice was sound.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

try lowering your computers output and raising your external speakers levels

do you live in the US?

also, find dvd players plist files etc and just delete them and reopen dvdplayer and see if that helps

also stop being a complete jerk you are acting like a 2 year old
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Grippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
also stop being a complete jerk you are acting like a 2 year old
-chris
I ask a serious question and someone tosses off a smartass reply, and I'm the complete jerk. I see.

In any case, it also happens with my G4 desktop and DVD Player. iMic isn't really a solution because I'm using USB speakers.

Frankly, I'm surprised I can't find anything about this anywhere. Think I'll write to Apple directly.
QUOTE Thanks
gould86

gould86 is on a distinguished road

I have been having the exact same problem. If I pop in my Phil Collins DVD is totally noticeable and extremely annoying.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New HD or try Disk Warrior? | external hardrive recommendations? »