New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External Hard Drive read only

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

apg96

apg96 is on a distinguished road

My hard drive is only read only, i cant modify folders, add anything to the hard drive, or delete files. I can open them and transfer them on to my computer. I share this hard drive between a PC and a Mac, but i know other people that do the same with out any problems.

I have the new intel macbook, and its only around a week old. Can i re format the drive to something that can be shared btwn macs and PCs? Also is there a way to do it without losing everything on there. I ahve more on there than i have space on either of my comps combined.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

What did you format the drive as? Sounds like its NTFS.
You will need FAT32 to use it for read/write access in both Windows and Mac.

Take a few moments to search the forums as there is a plethora of threads that discuss this topic.

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
apg96

is there a program fro macs like there is for XP taht will write NTFS, like how xp has macopener? Cause then i wont lose all my data.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

just copy all of the data onto another drive and you can format it fat32 in OS X and have read/write

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
apg96

I have too much to put on another drive, i have like 70 gb, and i ly have 15 open on this comp, and 15 on the other, the only option would be tp find someone wit another external to load my up on to.

But doesnt XP only read up to 32 gb of FAT32?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

OS X can format it to any size and XP has no problem reading it. There are no programs that I have seen that allow you to write to NTFS on macs

QUOTE Thanks
apg96

can i partion the drive so i save all the stuff on there, move it to the other side and then put them together again?

Wats better using FAT32 or formating it to MAC format and using MacDrive on the PC?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I'd go with FAT32, simply because you can access that data format from any pc or mac, regardless of what it's running.

You can't repartition that drive without copying the data off it first though.

DVD spindle anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
apg96

when i go to reformat it these are the format options it gives to me . Which ones it FAT32?

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Mac OS Extended
Mac OS Extended (case Sensitive, journaled)
Mac OS Extended (case sensitive)
MS-DOS File System
UNIX File System

Is there a guide to doing this online somewhere?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

MS-DOS File System

QUOTE Thanks
apg96

so i just hit erase drive, and then put MS-DOS for teh format to put it into and hit OK or whatever? Thats hit? Its that easy?

On XP it would be way harder.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg96
so i just hit erase drive, and then put MS-DOS for teh format to put it into and hit OK or whatever? Thats hit? Its that easy?

On XP it would be way harder.
Welcome to the world of Apple ...it's easier....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 Ram | eyeTV hybrid »