Question Is there a format that can be OSX and XP?
    I have just obtained a new Maxtor One Touch II which was non servicable, but my friend got it to work. I know that it was used by XP before it broke, but no XP won't read it. However my PB will which is great! I swear that I saw a thread on here in the past that said there is a format that you can format your hard drive to so you can use it on XP and OSX. Is that true, what is the format, and how do I do it? Thanks for the help, I really apprciate it.

Oh and can itunes convert WMA files to regular MP3s? I have a file thats WMA and I try to drag it to itunes and itunes won't except it.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by VeritasCCT
    I swear that I saw a thread on here in the past that said there is a format that you can format your hard drive to so you can use it on XP and OSX.
    There are several threads on this, actually. Please use the search feature to find them.

Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

St. Somewhere
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    FAT32 is the format in question - supported by both Mac and XP. I believe that DiskUtility will happily format your drive into this format.

Remember though that FAT32 does not support owners and permissions, and does not support resource forks. As such, it is good for moving data from your PC to your Mac, but you need to be careful when going the other way, particularly if you are running Linux or Unix on your PC (these two OS' are quite knowledgeable about permissions). Also, if you back up a Mac file onto this drive and later copy it back onto your Mac, you will have lost its owner information and permissions and resource fork.

So, FAT32 will do the trick, but it has to be used with its limitations in mind.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thread Information