New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Problems with FW external drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I was trying to format my Acomdata 160Gb external hard drive to HFS+ (it was FAT32) and things seem to have gone insane...

When DiskUtility finished formatting, the drive's name was supposed to be "ACOMDATA", but instead was "DMI_____IEEE1394". That was strange. I understand that IEEE1394 is FireWire, but DMI I'm unfamiliar with. Anywho, the disk won't mount at all under Mac OS X and under Windows it just shows a removable disk that I can't get to format.

The weirdest thing, though, is that now the drive is showing up in DiskUtility (still won't mount) and displaying 1.7 Terabytes free! It's a 160Gb hard drive! I'm very confused...

Is there a utility that can force format a drive?

I've already tried every command line route available with no luck.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Maybe it's an issue with the enclosure?

Or the disk itself has been corrupted somehow... I'd try a specialized utility like diskwarrior or drivegenius if you have it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FW400 and FW800 | External Hardrive Question (searched) »