JimmyHat
    External DVD Burner
    I've been trying to find an external DVD burner that will work with my PowerBook G4.

Will it work if I find an external enclosure and use an internal burner? If so, does it have to be one compatible with a Mac, or would a PC-compatible one work?

I've also found quite a few cheap external burners that don't seem to be supported on Mac - or at least that's what the manufacturers' websites show. Has anyone had any success using one of those? I know that LG and Sony both make some that I've looked at.

Thanks!

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I don't know about building one, but I have purchase a LaCie burner. Which works very will. I have never had any problems with it. What ever you get make sure you have at least a firewire port on it.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

JimmyHat
    What specific LaCie burner model do you have? Was it listed as Mac compatible on their website, or not?

If I don't have to worry about whether or not it's listed as Mac compatible, my life will be much simpler.

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    HERE is Apples OSX 3rd party mass storage devices compatibility page.

JimmyHat
    I have seen this page while researching the question. However, it does not provide any clear answers - only links to individual manufacturer's websites.

It does say on their page that "Most external storage devices that use a FireWire (IEEE 1394) or USB 2.0 connection including optical drives (CD, DVD), hard drives and Zip drives work with Mac OS X." It then goes on to say to check the manufacturer's websites.

I have checked several (Sony, Comstar, HP, and LG), and none of them list Mac compatibility! I guess I'll have to make sure that I can return the drive if it is not compatible with my OS to whatever retailer I purchase it from.

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    I suspect the "compatibility" question may be whether the manufacturer makes drivers for OSX. I suspect that for most of these, no drivers are required as they are built into OSX.

Specs:
    Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss
    I suspect the "compatibility" question may be whether the manufacturer makes drivers for OSX. I suspect that for most of these, no drivers are required as they are built into OSX.
    yes, I belive that is correct!

Also just wanted to let you know, I use a Pioneer drive in a firewire case and it works well, its even supported by ilife via OS X 10.4's drivers.

http://www.macsales.com
    they specialize in mac stuff, you should be able to find a compatable burner there.
    Report offensive posts
    Don't forget to use the rep system!

Thread Information