Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58
  1. #1

    Murlyn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 11, 2003
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    4,915
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    EyeTV Hybrid HDTV Tuner
    Ok question for all you TV geeks I know my computers, but I have no idea how to interpret this TV jargon.. so hopefully you guys can help.

    http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...ts_eyetvhybrid

    Can that work with just regular Digital Cable? I have basic cable, so not a lot of channels and Im through Cox... Any thoughts on this thing would be excellent, it was just released yesterday and I thought I would come to you guys before emailing their support

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Jul 22, 2003
    Location
    Hamilton College
    Posts
    6,999
    Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    I'm guessing that buy digital cable you mean you have a cable box. In that case it will work but you will need to use its little break out dongle to connect your cable box via RCA or S-Video. To change the channels you would either need an IR Blaster or just change your channels on your cable box remote.
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

  3. #3

    Murlyn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 11, 2003
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    4,915
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    Nope all I have is straight from the wall, so no cable box... Im sure that changes the answer a bit?

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jul 22, 2003
    Location
    Hamilton College
    Posts
    6,999
    Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Oh that makes things much better. Just plug the cable into the little USB dongle. You will be able to change the channels on your Mac, if you schedule a recording it will automatically change the channels for you
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

  5. #5

    Murlyn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 11, 2003
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    4,915
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    Are you serious? that simple? sheesh everything on that page.. I wasnt even sure it could be used here in the states.. it sounded like Europe only or I needed some big fancy High Definition tuner or what not.. definitely not my field if you can't tell Thanks monkey, I just might get one of these sometime soon

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jul 22, 2003
    Location
    Hamilton College
    Posts
    6,999
    Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    The software is fantastic. They are incredibly easy to use and with cable straight from the wall its even easier
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

  7. #7

    Murlyn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 11, 2003
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    4,915
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    Excellent It sounds like you currently use it? I take it that you definitely recommend eyetv? I wouldn't be paying any monthly fees right? That's the reason I have not gone for the whole recorders thing.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Jul 22, 2003
    Location
    Hamilton College
    Posts
    6,999
    Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Yea I used the EyeTV Wonder 2.0 for a year with the EyeTV software and I just upgraded to a Plextor unit which has the hardware encoding built in and am very pleased. The newest software updates are great. No monthly fees, built in TV guide
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

  9. #9

    puaerotch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    809
    Specs:
    iBook G4 OSX Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
    Yea I used the EyeTV Wonder 2.0 for a year with the EyeTV software and I just upgraded to a Plextor unit which has the hardware encoding built in and am very pleased. The newest software updates are great. No monthly fees, built in TV guide
    I have a question for you then. Would this work as a converter for my video camera as well? I have a video camera that only has the RCA/S-Video connections and I'm looking for a converter so I can upload to my iBook.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Jul 22, 2003
    Location
    Hamilton College
    Posts
    6,999
    Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Yep. I have used it to convert my VHS tapes and Hi8 tapes to digital
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

  11. #11

    Murlyn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 11, 2003
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    4,915
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    So if I want to do the conversion of my VHS tapes.. I would hook the coaxial cable to the VHS, then the other side would go into my EyeTV Hybrid? Wait hmm.. no that doesn't sound right.. basically just a coaxial from my VHS to EyeTV right? no reason for the cable from the wall.. since it's just VHS that I want...

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Jul 22, 2003
    Location
    Hamilton College
    Posts
    6,999
    Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Yea you don't need to worry about the cable from the wall if you are only interested in the conversion. I haven't looked too much at the specs on the Hybrid but if your main thing is conversion I would recommend looking into the hardware based tuners. These require virtually no system resources to do the conversion which will prevent any hiccups in the conversion

    http://www.plextor.com/english/products/TV402UMac.htm

    I have the plextor. It says 229 on the site but I got it for less at newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814144505

    http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv250
    Is 50 more than the Hybrid but has hardware based encoding, which can be switched to software if you need low latency

    The only true advantage of the hybrid apart from the price is that it can pick up some signals over the air, but since you have digital cable you get your channels just by plugging in if you want
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

  13. #13

    puaerotch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    809
    Specs:
    iBook G4 OSX Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
    Yep. I have used it to convert my VHS tapes and Hi8 tapes to digital
    Excellent, I might just have to buy one of these things.

  14. #14

    alucard's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 29, 2006
    Location
    Hurricane Alley (Florida)
    Posts
    411
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
    Yea you don't need to worry about the cable from the wall if you are only interested in the conversion. I haven't looked too much at the specs on the Hybrid but if your main thing is conversion I would recommend looking into the hardware based tuners. These require virtually no system resources to do the conversion which will prevent any hiccups in the conversion

    http://www.plextor.com/english/products/TV402UMac.htm

    I have the plextor. It says 229 on the site but I got it for less at newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814144505

    http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv250
    Is 50 more than the Hybrid but has hardware based encoding, which can be switched to software if you need low latency

    The only true advantage of the hybrid apart from the price is that it can pick up some signals over the air, but since you have digital cable you get your channels just by plugging in if you want
    Oh bugger! They are out of stock at newegg.

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Jul 22, 2003
    Location
    Hamilton College
    Posts
    6,999
    Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    NewEgg is usually very fast with restocking...I would say before the end of next week
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 12:41 AM
  2. EyeTV Hybrid Help
    By loyalty4life in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 10:56 PM
  3. Eyetv Hybrid Or Others?
    By ET5057 in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 09:10 PM
  4. eyetv hybrid
    By mr g5 in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 05:55 PM
  5. eyeTV hybrid
    By groggy23 in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 12:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •