New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

EyeTV Hybrid HDTV Tuner

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Ok question for all you TV geeks I know my computers, but I have no idea how to interpret this TV jargon.. so hopefully you guys can help.

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...ts_eyetvhybrid

Can that work with just regular Digital Cable? I have basic cable, so not a lot of channels and Im through Cox... Any thoughts on this thing would be excellent, it was just released yesterday and I thought I would come to you guys before emailing their support
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I'm guessing that buy digital cable you mean you have a cable box. In that case it will work but you will need to use its little break out dongle to connect your cable box via RCA or S-Video. To change the channels you would either need an IR Blaster or just change your channels on your cable box remote.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

Nope all I have is straight from the wall, so no cable box... Im sure that changes the answer a bit?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Oh that makes things much better. Just plug the cable into the little USB dongle. You will be able to change the channels on your Mac, if you schedule a recording it will automatically change the channels for you

QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Are you serious? that simple? sheesh everything on that page.. I wasnt even sure it could be used here in the states.. it sounded like Europe only or I needed some big fancy High Definition tuner or what not.. definitely not my field if you can't tell Thanks monkey, I just might get one of these sometime soon
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

The software is fantastic. They are incredibly easy to use and with cable straight from the wall its even easier

QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Excellent It sounds like you currently use it? I take it that you definitely recommend eyetv? I wouldn't be paying any monthly fees right? That's the reason I have not gone for the whole recorders thing.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Yea I used the EyeTV Wonder 2.0 for a year with the EyeTV software and I just upgraded to a Plextor unit which has the hardware encoding built in and am very pleased. The newest software updates are great. No monthly fees, built in TV guide

QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Yea I used the EyeTV Wonder 2.0 for a year with the EyeTV software and I just upgraded to a Plextor unit which has the hardware encoding built in and am very pleased. The newest software updates are great. No monthly fees, built in TV guide
I have a question for you then. Would this work as a converter for my video camera as well? I have a video camera that only has the RCA/S-Video connections and I'm looking for a converter so I can upload to my iBook.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Yep. I have used it to convert my VHS tapes and Hi8 tapes to digital

QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

So if I want to do the conversion of my VHS tapes.. I would hook the coaxial cable to the VHS, then the other side would go into my EyeTV Hybrid? Wait hmm.. no that doesn't sound right.. basically just a coaxial from my VHS to EyeTV right? no reason for the cable from the wall.. since it's just VHS that I want...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Yea you don't need to worry about the cable from the wall if you are only interested in the conversion. I haven't looked too much at the specs on the Hybrid but if your main thing is conversion I would recommend looking into the hardware based tuners. These require virtually no system resources to do the conversion which will prevent any hiccups in the conversion

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/TV402UMac.htm

I have the plextor. It says 229 on the site but I got it for less at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814144505

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv250
Is 50 more than the Hybrid but has hardware based encoding, which can be switched to software if you need low latency

The only true advantage of the hybrid apart from the price is that it can pick up some signals over the air, but since you have digital cable you get your channels just by plugging in if you want

QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Quote:
Yep. I have used it to convert my VHS tapes and Hi8 tapes to digital
Excellent, I might just have to buy one of these things.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

Quote:
Yea you don't need to worry about the cable from the wall if you are only interested in the conversion. I haven't looked too much at the specs on the Hybrid but if your main thing is conversion I would recommend looking into the hardware based tuners. These require virtually no system resources to do the conversion which will prevent any hiccups in the conversion

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/TV402UMac.htm

I have the plextor. It says 229 on the site but I got it for less at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814144505

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv250
Is 50 more than the Hybrid but has hardware based encoding, which can be switched to software if you need low latency

The only true advantage of the hybrid apart from the price is that it can pick up some signals over the air, but since you have digital cable you get your channels just by plugging in if you want
Oh bugger! They are out of stock at newegg.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

NewEgg is usually very fast with restocking...I would say before the end of next week

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about wireless/bluetooth Trackball | What monitor to go with-Widescreen? »