New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Great...another fool with an external HD ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VeritasCCT

VeritasCCT is on a distinguished road

Hey all, I'm thinking, no I AM going to make my own external hard drive. Has anyone done this and how easy is it really? People tell me it's easy, but they are the computer guys that can do anything on them. And will I need drivers, etc or will OSX read and format automatically? Also can you make your own bus-powered hard drive? I know that my firelite I have works without external power on my PC, but not on my PB. That is a pain in the *** too! Thanks.
Jared
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I've pretty much built all of my externals.

1-Go to a computer or electronics store and buy a Hard Drive case. There will be a few choices, USB 2 and Firwire and some that will do both. Buy what will meet your needs best. A good factor to think about: Which do you have more open ports of on your Mac, USB2 or FW? Make sure you know if the external case is for ATA/IDE drives or SATA drives.

2-Find a deal or sale on a big IDE or SATA hard drive, depending which you bought a case for.

3-Put the drive in the case and plug the FW or USB 2 connector into your Mac.

4-One of two things will happen. Either the drive will just mount on your desktop or OSX will tell you and unformatted drive has been inserted and ask you what you want to do with it. Click Format and OSX will open up Disc Utility. If you are only going to use the Drive on a Mac, select Mac HFS Plus (Journaled). If the drive will be used with a Windows machine as well, select MS-DOS and click format.

5-Once the drive has mounted on your desktop, use it.

I don’t know about Bus powered drives, none of mine are.

QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Also consider that if you plan to clone to the drive, and want to be able to boot from it, it'll have to be firewire capable. And having said that, if you can find an enclosure with an Oxford chipset, all the better. Generally speaking, that chipset seem to be most compatible across the board (with Intel Macs, software like "SuperDuper!").

"I'm the one that's going to die when it's time for me to die.
So let me live my life . . . the way I want to.
" - From "If 6 Was 9" - Jimi Hendrix
QUOTE Thanks
webbywebber

webbywebber will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0ghz White MacBook, 1gb RAM, superdrive, 22in trinitron external monitor, 60gb internal, 300gb ext

Most sites i've been looking on dont mention the chip sets, is there a list or a simple way to check them?

also will there be any noticable differences between the sata/ide drives?

Thanks

DEATH TO BIKE THIEVES
QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

Erudite.Warrior has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD

I'm thinking of doing exactly the same thing. Great post!

I intended to connect the external drive to my router so that I could use it to back up both my wife's PC and my Mac. Are there any enclosures that offer this capability or is it even possible?
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

I bought a USB/Firewire enclosure from CompUSA (their brand) and a Maxtor 120 GB PATA drive. I use SuperDuper to clone my internal drive to it and have no problems. I verfied that I can boot from the external drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erudite.Warrior
I'm thinking of doing exactly the same thing. Great post!

I intended to connect the external drive to my router so that I could use it to back up both my wife's PC and my Mac. Are there any enclosures that offer this capability or is it even possible?

What you would need is NAS, network attached storage,. which gets very expensive, it is cheaper to just share the drive off a computer.

i like Vantec's external cases, i am not sure how much the chipset really matters in the casing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook G3 Lombard Hard Drive Info | Mighty mouse anything but »