New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

New to Macs (totally)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mumina

Hi All! I have used PCs for years but never a Mac. A friend was just given a Power Macintosh 5400/200 Model M3046. I plugged it in and flipped the switch. No lights or anything. I checked the outlet and it is fine. I flipped the little switch over where the plug plugs in on the back of the monitor. Is that all I need to do to turn it on? My keyboard and mouse don't seem to work on it either. Are there special Mac keyboards and mouses? Does it need the keyboard for example to be able to turn on? I would really appreciate any reply since they aren't likely to have a way to get any other computer and I was hoping to teach the mom (they are refugees) how to use one. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

0. Remember that this system is ten years old. In ten years, anything could have happened to it. Also, it won't be able to do all that much even if it works perfectly.

1. The switch on the back should turn it on, if it works

2. You need an ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) keyboard and mouse. Modern Mac keyboards are USB, like PC keyboards, and won't work. A PS/2 keyboard won't work, either.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl..._5400_200.html
http://lowendmac.com/ppc/5400.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
Mumina

Thanks, I guess it is dead. Should I toss it or would or is there any point in trying to get it working again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
0. Remember that this system is ten years old. In ten years, anything could have happened to it. Also, it won't be able to do all that much even if it works perfectly.

2. You need an ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) keyboard and mouse. Modern Mac keyboards are USB, like PC keyboards, and won't work. A PS/2 keyboard won't work, either.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl..._5400_200.html
http://lowendmac.com/ppc/5400.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Spending any money on it could be a bad idea. It's 10 yrs old and in computer terms that's a very long time. I hate to recommend someone toss their mac but if it's old and not working....

I hope you can find a better computer and help the person to learn how to use one.

(Even better if its a mac )
QUOTE Thanks
avcabob

avcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB

I'm not familiar with that exact model, but all other mac's i've used with required an ADB keyboard like yours you do need the keyboard to turn it on. The switch on the back is the main power switch but won't boot the computer. On an ADB keyboard, there is a button with a triangle on it which is what you need to push to turn it on.
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
as others have said, that is not true. I have used the 5200/200 series macs a few years back at the school where I work. They are softpower, meaning you MUST have an apple keyboard attached and you must press the button with the triange symbol to turn it on. The power switch in the back just gets the monitor warmed up...

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« external hard drive woes | Apple Universal Dock & 2 iPods? »